Subject: [Isms] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5953 (2670)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:36:33 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5953,
"Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5953&eid=2670

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>

Section: A.1

Original Text
-------------
snmpTargetParamsRowStatus       = 4          (createAndGo0

Corrected Text
--------------
snmpTargetParamsRowStatus       = 4          (createAndGo)

Notes
-----
This is a typo - the shift key was not hit hard enough and hence the closing parenthesis became a 0.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5953 (draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
Publication Date    : August 2010
Author(s)           : W. Hardaker
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Integrated Security Model for SNMP
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:51:57 -0500

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:36:33 -0800 RFC wrote:
RES> Original Text
RES> -------------
RES> snmpTargetParamsRowStatus       = 4          (createAndGo0
RES> 
RES> Corrected Text
RES> --------------
RES> snmpTargetParamsRowStatus       = 4          (createAndGo)

I noticed this too.. I read up on submitting errata and it seems like it
said that only errors that caused an issue with the specification were
considered. But if we're making corrections, then a more serious typo
is that snmpTargetAddrColumnStatus (also in the appendix), should be
snmpTargetAddrRowStatus.

-- 
Robert Story
Senior Software Engineer
SPARTA (dba Cobham Analytic Soloutions)

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:01:50 +0100

> is that snmpTargetAddrColumnStatus (also in the appendix), should be

So please consider filing an errata. I think it is helpful to have
issues recorded somewhere where they are found when a document is
revised.  Digging through mailing list archives is time consuming and
error prone, especially if that happens years after the issue has been
discovered. Probably the approval process for editorial issues should
be simpler - but that is a different issue I think.

I might also be completely wrong.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:18:06 -0500

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:01:50 +0100 Juergen wrote:
JS> > I noticed this too.. I read up on submitting errata and it seems like it
JS> > said that only errors that caused an issue with the specification were
JS> > considered. But if we're making corrections, then a more serious typo
JS> > is that snmpTargetAddrColumnStatus (also in the appendix), should be
JS> > snmpTargetAddrRowStatus.
JS> 
JS> So please consider filing an errata. I think it is helpful to have
JS> issues recorded somewhere where they are found when a document is
JS> revised.

Ok, done.

---

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:44:30 -0500

There is one more issue with the example in A.1. It does not show the
setup for the snmpNotifyTable to tie together the other rows. To be
complete, I'd expect something like:

   The following row adds the "toNRTag" tag to the snmpNotifyTable:

       snmpNotifyName                 =  "toNRName"
       snmpNotifyTag                  =  "toNRTag"
       snmpNotifyType                 =  1         (trap)
       snmpNotifyStorageType          =  3         (nonVolatile)
       snmpNotifyRowStatus            =  4         (createAndGo)

Or are we assuming the reader knows what is needed to make the example
work?

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:38:44 -0600

It was decided previously that the example wouldn't include settings for the previous example tables.  The example section actually had longer examples in it but an IESG member wanted them removed.  So no, the text is published according to expectations.