Subject: [Isms] STD 78, RFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 13:55:40 -0700

STD 78
       RFC 6353

       Title:      Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for
                   the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
       Author:     W. Hardaker
       Status:     Standards Track
       Stream:     IETF
       Date:       July 2011
       Mailbox:    [email-masked]
       Pages:      65
       Characters: 148571
       Obsoletes:  RFC 5953
       See Also:   STD 78

       I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm-rfc5953bis-00.txt

       URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6353.txt

This document describes a Transport Model for the Simple Network
Management Protocol (SNMP), that uses either the Transport Layer
Security protocol or the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
protocol. The TLS and DTLS protocols provide authentication and
privacy services for SNMP applications. This document describes how
the TLS Transport Model (TLSTM) implements the needed features of an
SNMP Transport Subsystem to make this protection possible in an
interoperable way. This Transport Model is designed to meet the
security and operational needs of network administrators. It supports
the sending of SNMP messages over TLS/TCP and DTLS/UDP. The TLS mode
can make use of TCP's improved support for larger packet sizes and the
DTLS mode provides potentially superior operation in environments
where a connectionless (e.g., UDP) transport is preferred. Both TLS
and DTLS integrate well into existing public keying
infrastructures. This document also defines a portion of the
Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management
protocols. In particular, it defines objects for managing the TLS
Transport Model for SNMP.

This document is a product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and
suggestions for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of
the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of
this memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
 http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
 http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see
http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].
Unless specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are
for unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC