Subject: RFC 2816 on Framework for Int-Serv Over IEEE 802 LAN

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:34:06 -0500

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2816

        Title:            A Framework for Integrated Services Over Shared
                    and Switched IEEE 802 LAN Technologies 
        Author(s):  A. Ghanwani, J. Pace, V. Srinivasan, A. Smith,
                    M. Seaman 
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      47
        Characters: 119043
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2816.txt

This memo describes a framework for supporting IETF Integrated
Services on shared and switched LAN infrastructure.  It includes
background material on the capabilities of IEEE 802 like networks
with regard to parameters that affect Integrated Services such as
access latency, delay variation and queuing support in LAN switches.
It discusses aspects of IETF's Integrated Services model that cannot
easily be accommodated in different LAN environments.  It outlines
a functional model for supporting the Resource Reservation Protocol
(RSVP) in such LAN environments.  Details of extensions to RSVP for
use over LANs are described in an accompanying memo [14].  Mappings
of the various Integrated Services onto IEEE 802 LANs are described
in another memo [13].

This document is a product of the Integrated Services Over Specific
Link Layers Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

..

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

--OtherAccess
Content-Type:  Message/External-body;
        access-type="mail-server";
        server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

RETRIEVE: rfc
DOC-ID: rfc2816

--OtherAccess
Content-Type:   Message/External-body;
        name="rfc2816.txt";
        site="ftp.isi.edu";
        access-type="anon-ftp";
        directory="in-notes"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--