Subject: [ipwave] Fwd: IETF 108 will be an online meeting

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 15:23:03 -0400

Just in case you do not read the  IETF-Announce mail list...

Russ

> From: IETF Chair <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Subject: IETF 108 will be an online meeting
> Date: May 14, 2020 at 4:07:47 PM CDT
> To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, IETF <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Reply-To: IETF <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> 
> The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG), the IETF LLC Board of Directors, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) Chair have decided to replace the in-person IETF 108 Madrid meeting with an online meeting. This decision is based on the IETF Executive Director’s recommendation, which was made after conducting an assessment of local conditions using the criteria set out in the assessment framework [1] developed with community input.
> 
> The recommendation and full assessment are available at: https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/IETF_108_Madrid_go_no-go_assessment.pdf <https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/IETF_108_Madrid_go_no-go_assessment.pdf>
> 
> The online IETF 108 meeting will take place 27-31 July from 11:00 to 16:00 UTC each day. The end time of 16:00 UTC is approximate; some days may be shorter depending on scheduling. These time blocks were chosen based on the survey feedback [2] we received.
> 
> Further details about the online meeting will be shared as they become available.
> 
> Sincerely,
> Alissa Cooper, IETF Chair
> Colin Perkins, IRTF Chair
> Jason Livingood, IETF LLC Board Chair
> 
> [1] https://www.ietf.org/blog/assessment-criteria-decision-personvirtual-ietf-108/? <https://www.ietf.org/blog/assessment-criteria-decision-personvirtual-ietf-108/?>
> [2] https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/survey-planning-possible-online-meetings-responses.pdf <https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/survey-planning-possible-online-meetings-responses.pdf>

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 11:31:44 +0200

Hi, Russ,

Thank you for having forwarded that message.  It is indeed very important.

I am subscribed to the IETF-announce email list, but I did not receive
it.  That list's archive does display it, among others around May 14th,
at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ietf-announce/

But this kind of message is very important to each WG, because it says
the essential thing of a WG: how to meet.

In that sense, I am surprised that the WG chairmanship has to manually 
forward that message.  It seems to me like the administration somewhere 
high up in the clouds - maybe just a bit too high(?) - does not feel 
like it needs to inform directly the WG about it.

In my feeling (it is just a feeling) this might invite someone like me,
to think about proposing intermediary meetings, without asking consent
from Administration.  Why should we meet when the _Administration_ wants
to, when we could meet when _we_ want to?

Why should a single WG follow the population statistics of IETF overall
in order to decide for a timeslot?  For example, right now the agenda 
proposes an IETF virtual meeting end of July, on a timeslot 11hAM to 
16hPM UTC, because that's what the IETF doodle gave.  But if a group has 
most likely participants on Vanuatu timezone, why should that group 
choose an European timeslot? (or vice-versa).  It is highly likely here 
now that a timeslot 1hAM UTC would be more attractive to a larger number 
of potential participants.  Remark the discrepancy in timeslot.

The good reason that might be necessary to coordinate with IETF 
Administration, is because of a need of relationship with other WGs. 
For example, IPWAVE might need info to/from 6MAN.  But 6MAN also meets 
virtually.  There might be other WGs to need to coordinate with.

It might be that the common timeslot might be the key ressource to deal 
with in organizing virtual meetings.

But one does not organize timeslots for virtual meetings as one 
organizes week-constrained same-timezone f2f meetings.

Alex

Le 15/05/2020 à 21:23, Russ Housley a écrit :
> Just in case you do not read the **IETF-Announce mail list...
> 
> Russ
> 
> 
>> *From: *IETF Chair <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> 
>> *Subject: **IETF 108 will be an online meeting* *Date: *May 14,
>> 2020 at 4:07:47 PM CDT *To: *IETF-Announce <[email-masked]
>>  <mailto:[email-masked]>>, [email-masked] 
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>, IETF <[email-masked] 
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>> *Reply-To: *IETF <[email-masked]
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>> 
>> The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG), the IETF LLC Board
>> of Directors, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) Chair
>> have decided to replace the in-person IETF 108 Madrid meeting with
>> an online meeting. This decision is based on the IETF Executive 
>> Director’s recommendation, which was made after conducting an 
>> assessment of local conditions using the criteria set out in the 
>> assessment framework [1] developed with community input.
>> 
>> The recommendation and full assessment are available at: 
>> https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/IETF_108_Madrid_go_no-go_assessment.pdf
>>
>>
>> 
The online IETF 108 meeting will take place 27-31 July from 11:00 to
>> 16:00 UTC each day. The end time of 16:00 UTC is approximate; some
>>  days may be shorter depending on scheduling. These time blocks
>> were chosen based on the survey feedback [2] we received.
>> 
>> Sincerely, Alissa Cooper, IETF Chair Colin Perkins, IRTF Chair 
>> [1] 
>> https://www.ietf.org/blog/assessment-criteria-decision-personvirtual-ietf-108/?
>>
>> 
[2]
>> https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/survey-planning-possible-online-meetings-responses.pdf
>
>> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ its mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:20:45 +0200

Hi,

[...]
>> *Subject: **IETF 108 will be an online meeting*
>> *Date: *May 14, 2020 at 4:07:47 PM CDT
>> *To: [multiple]
[...]
>> days may be shorter depending on scheduling. These time blocks were 
>> chosen based on the survey feedback [2] we received.
>>

Thank you for having provided the survey results.

One of the results shows a roughly 80% preference for a no-fee IETF 
online meeting, as opposed to a paid meeting.

Hopefully that preference will be taken into account.

The costs I think might be involved (other than participants' times) is 
the cost of the tele-conference tool like webex.  Currently webex is 
still free, I think, but not sure in July.  There are alternatives like 
Microsoft Teams, Skype, GoTo Meeting, each with an associated 
potentially non-zero cost.  Some might be provided gratuitously by an 
organiser, or not.

These are things I worry about.

Alex

> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>