Subject: [iucg] the position france@large takes

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:55:26 +0100

Unfortunately, our deadline has been reached in total silence on the 
usually active WG/IDNABIS mailing list. The framework of our document 
is, therefore, settled. I still might influence some content with 
contributions that I receive during this present business day.

FYI, we pose several questions to the Government about the 
multilingualization as expected by the people and interoperability 
with the internationalization as proposed by the IETF. We underline 
the need for their interoperability when possible. We pose the 
question of paralleling the internationalization effort with a 
multilingualization R&D and deployment, in turn making 
internationalized domain namessupported by a multilingual 
presentation layer that could be emulated through either 
applications, classes, extensions of TCP/IP, etc. or new propositions.

We also ask who will be in charge of the necessary Internet polynym 
(name of the same invariant concept in every language) terminology 
that multilinguistic propositions call for within documentation, 
relations, contracts, and support.

This goes along with our consideration of:
* the European Charter of Minority Languages and the need to support 
(1) the various ( Languages in France?) (2) the other languages of 
the European  community and of its immigration, which calls for 
European co-operation.
* the French Constitution art. 75-1, which states that regional 
languages are a part of the French patrimony.
* the needs of the French/European e-commerce exportation, at least 
for the French territorial zone, to be supported by a TLD in every 
ISO 3166 listed language.
* Intersem semiotic strata R&D advocacy.
* our question for national security reasons, vital/critical 
installations' protection, legal root operations' log archiving, 
privacy and intelligence protection, DNSSEC, the people's trust, 
etc., of the implementation of a national duplicate of the root 
system and of a European virtual root file.
jfc

At 15:51 29/01/2009, JFC Morfin wrote:
>At 21:12 28/01/2009, Mark Davis wrote:
>>But mappings like lowercase, fullwidth, etc are different.
>
>Unless we make it completely clear that IDNA2008 is a temporary 
>Internet Degraded Name Arbitration that temporarily blocks mapping 
>for security reasons during the transition to a DNS.2, which will 
>fully support every typography. As users, we certainly oppose this 
>entirely, but we also have to be pragmatic. If these degraded names 
>are what our WG can propose in the present DNS context, a sound, 
>reduced proposition is better than a flawed solution.
>
>At this stage, IMHO we should only target what Occam and the IETF LC 
>may agree on. I would like to explain something to you further.
>
>
>  At this time the French Gov has issued an RFP for the replacement 
> of AFNIC as the ".fr" Manager. france@large will answer that RFP. 
> As part of the procedure, candidates can pose clarification 
> questions that the Government will in turn have to answer. 
> IDNA20008 should have been completed by now. Therefore, we (should 
> have asked questions concerning "Internationalization" within the 
> IDNA2008 framework.
>
>IDNA2008 is not completed yet. Therefore, our own IDNA interoperable 
>architecture perspective could also not have been finalized. We are, 
>therefore, going to pose our questions with rather little IETF, IAB, 
>or architectural background about the "Intersem" (Multilingual and 
>Semantic Internet" related issues. These questions will come from 
>French users, consumers, corporations, organizations, representatives, etc..
>By way of consequence, Government responses (or lack of) will affect 
>the whole francophonie and create a de facto international position, 
>since ".fr" refrained in the past from developing a solely 
>Anglo-Saxon typography, which the Government would like to see come to an end.
>
>Stephane Bortzmeyer from AFNIC did a good job here. He pointed out 
>some of the problems that we are facing, but showed reasonably low 
>pressure so as to not delay the respective problem solving (the 
>solutions to the discussed mapping cases are good hints for some of 
>our problems). Furthermore, we (users) cooperated in not objecting 
>to what we consider as a clear disrespecting of the Charter and of 
>the responsibility, competence (RFC 3935), and precautionary (cf. my 
>own 
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iucg-precaution-00.txt) 
>principle. This was because we fully realized that IDNA cannot, and 
>does not intent to, bring much more than IDNA2003. and not what we 
>consider everyone expect (cf. WSIS, IGF, UNESCO, etc positions). 
>James Seng and the Chair have been very honnest about it.
>
>However, the time has come. AFNIC has not been able to deploy the 
>proper support needed for the French typography as of yet, this 
>being the present case 31 years after the French international 
>datacommunications services were opened. Therefore, I presume that 
>the questions that I will have to list along with the responses that 
>I will thereby obtain (either directly or indirectly) will be 
>politically based upon the (1) best QoS for the users (2) 
>precautionary principle in a global context (3) imaginative 
>architectural alternatives (4) support of the Semantic Addressing, 
>in which we were delaying our proposition in order to be certain 
>that it will be IDNA interoperable.
>
>One question set will necessarily concern the kind of international 
>consensus that will support the French Gov responses that we will 
>publicly receive.
>
>Every suggestion that you could make would be _very_ welcome. The 
>deadline for us is February 7.
>Concerning interoperability, I will certainly quote, in appendix to 
>my questions, this present mail, along with whatever response and 
>Chair statement that I receive. Obviously the RFP, my questions, and 
>the responses received will all be in the French language.
>
>jfc
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Idna-update mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/idna-update

---

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:47:14 +0100

For the information of those having some French,  it gives a good 
review of the general ccTLD environment., including cultural aspects, 
even in the roman area.

The specific document I submited is at 
http://franceatlarge.org/wiki/QFR.  I recall that it is a documented 
questionnaire that the Government is legally obliged to answer. Our 
target is to obtain either committed responses from a Government, of 
which the law is clear and advanced, or "no response"s which would 
indicate that users and market  can proceed independently.

Obviously, this document is not IDNA oriented only, but 
multilinguistic aspects are central in that they also call for a 
multilateral vision of the digital ecosystem's communications that 
every other matters should benefit from.
Best.
jfc

Questions au Ministère de l'Economie, de l'Industrie et l'Emploi 
concernant l'adminance de ".fr"

----------

Appel à candidature en vue de la désignation par le Ministre de 
l'Economie, de l'Industrie et de l'Emploi de l'Office 
d'Enregistrement du domaine internet ".fr".
Ministère de l'économie, de l'industrie et de l'emploi
Direction générale de la compétitivité, de l'industrie et des services
DGCIS/STSI/SDRMCL
12, rue Villiot
75572 PARIS CEDEX 12
Documents de référence :
    * 
<http://www.telecom.gouv.fr/fonds_documentaire/consultations/09/app09fr.pdf>Le 
texte de l'appel à candidature
    * 
<http://www.minefe.gouv.fr/discours-presse/discours-communiques_finances.php?type=communique&id=2406&rub=1>Le 
communiqué de presse du 15 janvier 2009
    * 
<http://www.telecom.gouv.fr/rubriques-menu/organisation-du-secteur/textes-reglementaires/consultations-appels-candidatures/consultations-closes/modalites-gestion-du-domaine-internet--dot-fr-extensions-outre-mer-1652.html>La 
consultation d'avril 2008
    * 
<http://www.telecom.gouv.fr/rubriques-menu/organisation-du-secteur/dossiers-sectoriels/noms-domaine/domaines-internet--dot-fr-ultramarins-resultats-consultation-1888.html>Détail 
et Synthèse des contributions
    * 
<http://franceatlarge.org/wiki/20090127_-_Mail_france%40large>20090127 
- Mail france@large Réponse france@large à l'appel à candidature pour ".fr"
    * 
<http://franceatlarge.org/wiki/20090127_-_Mail_WG/IDNABIS>20090127 - 
Mail WG/IDNABIS
    * 
<http://franceatlarge.org/wiki/CPCE_-_L_45_%2B_R_20-44-34_%C3%A0_R_20-44-51>CPCE 
- L 45 + R 20-44-34 à R 20-44-51
    * <http://franceatlarge.org/wiki/QFR>QFR Questionnaire pour ".fr"