Subject: Re: [iucg] Punycode Mixed-case annotation

From: Marie-France Berny <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:06:19 +0200

Dear John,

2009/9/1 John C Klensin <[email-masked]>

> >> These are three French orthotypographies of three different
> >> semantics which may relate to three different IP addresses.
> >> How do you propose to support them ?
>

Please note that the question is not to the DNS but to Wil.

> (and by the host table
> specification, which predates it by nearly another decade).
> They cannot identify different DNS tree nodes and hence cannot
> identify different sets of IP addresses (or anything else).
>

On this particular point I feel you disagree with my computer?

> There is no way to change those fundamental DNS behaviors at
> this point.  Even if there were, it would lie far outside the
> scope of this WG.   As I have suggested several times before, it
> you need to make those distinctions, you are going to need to
> use an intermediate layer naming system, either resting on the
> DNS (which is what I would recommend for several reasons) or
> operating in its stead).
>

This is what we all think. In this case we have someone who proposes a
change in some _non-DNS_ rules. I want to make sure that we agree on the
implications of what he proposes. The first step is my question.

Then I want to know how his proposed change may or not modify the context of
my own solution to my own need, i.e. when ecole.fra and Ecole.fra entered by
the user are not intended to be equivalent. The second step of my question.

There is no step related to the DNS.

But, for the basic functionality and distinctions, top asking: you are about
> 35 years too late and are wasting your time and
> ours.
>

No. I only have a problem to solve of inconsistency between French, Unicode,
Hosts.txt, DNS and IDNA. There are several possible solutions. The simplest
ones seems to depend on the consideration of Adam Costello's mail. Wil does
that. But I feel he does it only partly.

Over all, I certainly prefer your solution that Wil's young positions, but
you proposed it later on. And I did not have time to check how it compares
with Adam's canonalization.

Best