Subject: [iucg] IUCG awaiting for IDNA2008 publication

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:32:52 +0100

Dear all,

The number of participants in the IUCG is slowly growing. This is not 
yet the case, however, in terms of participant to discussions. But 
some important work is carried through notes based on the wiki pages.

IDNA2010

The IUCG was created in the wake of the discussion on IDNA. This has 
led to the definition and preparatory work on Interplus/idnaplus. 
This work has to be put on hold for a few weeks because it would not 
be reasonable to discuss Interplus without prior knowledge of the 
final IDNA2008 text, once approved by the IESG. This is due to the 
review of this text by Editors: it has led to some possible wording 
rigidity that could result in possible architectural conflicts.

So, until then we will continue collecting the inputs for IDNA2008bis 
(http://idna2010.org) towards an IDNA2008/IDNAPLUS based common 
IDNA2010 best practice.

Current priorities

Therefore, I propose that we proceed as follows during the comming 
three months:

1. lead users

- focus on the very nature of the lead-usership and, therefore, of 
the industrial and societal location of the IUCG. I am working on a 
reduction of the first chapter of von Hippel's book "Democratizing 
Innovation", which summarizes this matter. A part of his findings is 
based upon a survey of the Apache community: we could discuss how 
this can be transposed to the IUCG and to @larges as an Internet 
lead-users community.

2. Intertesting

- continue on the precautionary duty line and introduce an 
"Intertest" Draft, i.e. using the Internet as its own test-bed (both 
for technical and governance issues and their mutual influence) 
without risking the possibility of harming it. I intend on proposing 
a preliminary text on that subject in a few weeks time that is to be 
based upon ICANN ICP-3 and a compilation of various RFCs and I_Ds.

3. Architectural prototyping

- build an interbox prototype. To do this, we have three possibilities:
-- to extend Unbound and/or Bind to include the idnaplus and use a local root.
-- to start from a packet-filter source that can be compiled under 
Windows and Linux.
-- to develop a true OPES system as the basis of an interbox. This 
could be a sourceforge project.

However, the WG/OPES mailing list has been closed. Therefore, I have 
to propose the restart of the WG/OPES mailing list, either as an IUCG 
mailing list or as a non-WG specialized mailing list, to all former 
participants.

This depends on our ability to identify developers and interested 
participants in a working OPES based networked extended services 
(ONES) Special Interest Group.

4 Funding

In the meanwhile, I will try to reorganize my own INTLNET non-profit 
structure in a way that it may better address the governance, 
adminance, and development issues. I will as well as introduce an R&D 
commercially based financing limited capacity for IUCG 
experimentations. This could serve as an experience for a better 
understanding of the IUCG "intertesting" capacity and capitalize on:

5. Test projects

-- Projet.FRA - French semantic addressing space, also using the test 
".FRA" gTLD (or multiledgered Top Level Domain should ICANN delay the 
plans it announced in 2007). This test will focus on the use of the 
semantic addressing space as an taxonomy (multilevel folksonomy) for 
an open ontology.

-- Multilinc, Linguistic diversity cybernetics (multilinguistics) 
experimentation gathering a broad number of linguistic namespaces. 
This is obviously dependent on the IDNgTLD ICANN loyal behavior in 
managing their Fast Track project, since most of the TLDs should be 
entered in the root once they  have been validated through Multilinc.

-- and PERFIDA IDNAPLUS RFID support by people testing.

6. UTLD Multinic

We should now concentrate on the documentation/development of an 
ML-DNS NIC manager in order to support user namesspaces (UTLDs), 
naming value added and extended services. This could use the 
france@large published PNI book 
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/pni/7143574

7. Intersem

I suggest we start an Intersem oriented User Area in the coming weeks 
and try to work on an initial Area Charter. This will permit us to 
evaluate if a BOF on the matter would be the best way to proceed.

Quarterly goal

My goal is to be able to present an operational IUCG on January 21 at 
a public meeting at the Communications Museum in Paris, which is to 
be broadcasted to four other cities. The Internet Minister should 
attend. The theme is the Internet of the future. It will start with a 
debate between Louis Pouzin (father of the prompt, scripts, datagram, 
and e-mail), Vint Cerf, and Bob Khan the co-designers of the Internet 
as an application of Louis' catenet architecture (network of 
networks). I will introduce why and how the IUCG must bring forth its 
contribution; how its endeavors will shape a different future for the 
Internet of the users; how it needs ICANN to behave more loyally; and 
why an international enhanced cooperation is to be established (or to 
establish itself by itself) to manage the MultiLedgered DNS 
governance (UTLDs, classes, presentations, virtual root, SAS 
[semantic addressing system], a new value added domain name economy, 
IDv6, etc.).

NB. "Fast Crash"

We may face a potentially network damaging situation would ICANN 
disrespect their published gTLD introduction calendar as:

- many projects have already gathered funding and started investing 
in file preparation and even some in name promotion.
- this is perceived as a way to put pressure on IDNccTLD to sign an 
agreement with them including DNSSEC against an IDNA market sunrise 
IDNgTLD should share.

This would be highly detrimental to the Multilingual Internet 
equilibrium (as if the ASCII Internet had not started with ".com", 
".net"). This would call for IUCG to share in a "Fast Crash" @large 
user plan. The IUCG would have to organise and host an MDRS core 
(Multilingual Distributed Reference System) to support names, 
presentations, IDv6 grids, ports, classes, and semantic addresses as 
required by the interplus and its intertesting. If such a "Fast 
Crash" project was to be activated by ATLARGE, IUCG would use a IANA 
private use delegated (0xFF00-0xFFFE) classes. Since some could copy 
us or pollute the chosen user class, or even to use IETF reserved 
classes, a User Name and Number Adminance SIG would be activated, and 
would probably propose or join a BOF on this issue.

Your comments are welcomed.

jfc