Subject: [iucg] IDNA2008 : planned appeal

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:21:11 +0100

Dear all,

Further to the IESG announcement of their approval of the IDNA2008 
documents, I intend to appeal that decision. I will most probably be 
supported by others in so doing. This appeal will be a special appeal 
and will be carefully documented. The intent here is not to oppose 
the documents, which are in fact excellent and represent a major and 
positive step ahead for the Internet, but rather to oppose their 
publication without further work being carried out beforehand. To use 
IDNA2008, which is the Internet protocol for supporting IDNs, without 
the proper IDNA2010 work firstly being completed regarding its 
support on the user side, may create undesired confusion, high 
security risks and, therefore, an inappropriate and undesirable image of IDNA.

This is particularly the case of the ICANN Fast Track project 
(limited to a discriminated set of IDNccTLDs) and of the rather 
similar ATLARGE My Track project (open to every IDNg/ccTLD project). 
As one of the initiators of the My Track project, I will do my best 
to delay it until things have been clarified. None of the multiple 
contact attempts with the ICANN BoD Members, IDNs related staff, and 
key persons in their IDN area has resulted in response. By their 
silence they are endangering the stability of the Internet. They must 
be officially warned by the IAB, elucidated by the IESG, and assisted 
by documents from the IETF and IUCG.

Here is my projected calendar:

1. to document the problem from the document that I sent to the IESG 
as the Chair of Project.FRA. It explained explaining what actions the 
ICANN's political precipitation obliges on us.
2. to document how this kind of major problem (a complete change in 
the understanding of the Internet and domain name system 
architectures is involved) could be addressed.
3. to appeal the decision before March 7, and to propose the most 
limited number of necessary changes in order to make it understood 
that this publication is excellent but that it MUST be considered as 
premature to use it.

I do not want this appeal to be considered as community dissent. 
Therefore, I will not discuss it on the [email-masked] mailing 
list. I will be attentive, however, as to what may be discussed on 
this list, which is destined to work on an IDNA2010 BCP as to the 
different ways to implement and deploy IDNA2008 as a user, an ISP, a 
zone manager, etc.).

I hereby note that prior to the publishing of this intent of appeal, 
I have fully respected the appeal procedure: I let the WG/IDNABIS 
members know (I am banned from that WG) and I dialoged with, or 
reported to, the WG/IDNABIS Chair, the Application Area AD in charge, 
and the IETF Chair. This appeal is personal and does not involve any 
of my other IETF related duties and obligations.

Best regards
JFC Morfin
Internet User.