Subject: [iucg] The work on IDNA2010 has begun.

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:57:31 +0200

Dear all,

I forward you the mail of the [email-masked] facilitator. The 
post-IDNA2008 appeal phase is finished on my side (now the response 
is to the IAB). Let me recall you the situation.

* IDNA2008 is the new and final way to support IDNs after the 
IDNA2003 current live experimentation period, and the IAB RFC 4690 review.

* IDNA2008 replaces IDNA2003 _ONLY_ on the network side, making it 
rock solidly based on the DNS and transparent to IDNs (except for 
exceptions like Latin majuscule, etc.).

* IDNA2008 is documented by four Standard propositions + an 
Informational document that introduces for developpers the way to 
match it on the userside.

* The Area Director and the IESG have killed that Informational 
document, and approved the four Standard propositions. The apeal is 
about the fact they have not informed the Internet community on the 
way they want to document how build userside IDNA interfaces. Manage 
exceptions like Latin majuscule, etc. Ans probably foster a dramatic 
innovation. Something IDNA2008 has permitted to stabilize and the IAB 
is investigating (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-idn-encoding-02).

* What I says is: "IDNA2010 is therefore about matching IDNA2080 on 
the userside. Then IDNA2012 should be about building a common 
IDNA2008/IDNA2010 Internet User Interface".

Now, the ball is in the IAB field. The Internet Users and IAB 
positions are not practically so different, but they still belong to 
two different architectural paradigms of the Internet (pre and post 
IDNA). The difference is that the Internet is "end to end dump rope" 
and IDNA2008 permit to extend it (intelligence is to be on the 
fringes) to "fringe to fringe smart wire" - this is Internet 2.0 with 
additional network/users layers (at least the presentation layer, 
probably two others on debate).

The difficulty is that the "fringe to fringe smart wire" namespace 
does not belong to the ICANN scope and technically may use a unique 
virtual root matrix (VROOM) some have to coordinate. This "some 
people" MUST technically include users because they build it. FAST 
TRACK is about testing if ICANN can resist Internet 2.0.

jfc

>Dear all,
>
>the text of the appeal to the IAB can now be found on the IDNA2010 
>page (<http://idna2010.org>http://idna2010.org).
>Direct access 
>: 
><http://iucg.org/wiki/100606_-_JFCM_Appeal_to_the_IAB>http://iucg.org/wiki/100606_-_JFCM_Appeal_to_the_IAB
>
>This publication being the last possible general action to get the 
>Internet community alerted about the IDNA2008 Internet architectural 
>paradigmatic change and the missing work and information on the way 
>to support IDNA2008. The work to be achieved is now identified at 
>the IUCG as four different and independant tasks:
>
>* IDNA2010: general integration of IDNA2008 on the userside from an 
>Internet User point of view
>* IDNA2012: joint adminance of IDNA2008 and IDN2010
>* Interplus: encapsulation of the Internet in a smart Internet Use 
>Interface (IUI)
>* Interbox: JEDI's ("jefsey's disciples") project of prototype 
>Interplus support for the Intertest (the Internet as its own test-bed).
>
>As a result:
>
>1. the <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] is not 
>moderated anymore.
>2. the <http://idna2010.org>http://idna2010.org page is now the 
>portal of the IDNA2010 section in the 
><http://iucg.org/wiki>http://iucg.org/wiki page.
>3. the <http://idna2012.org>http://idna2012.org page has been 
>created and is dormant
>
>The other actions will be documented on the 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] mailing list and on 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked].
>
>Best regards.
>
>Portzamparc
>
>_______________________________________________
>Idna-update mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/idna-update