Subject: Re: [iucg] [[email-masked]] Resolution on net neutrality by Transatlantic Consumer Dialogue

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:12:52 +0200

At 18:23 30/07/2010, Sahel, Jean-Jacques wrote:
>Comments from list members would be welcome!
>
>Jean-Jacques

http://iucg.org/wiki/Net-Neutrality
(it belongs to the 
http://iucg.org/wiki/Translating_Civil_Society_preocupations section).

------

Jean-Jacques,

I do not think it is possible to obtain by resolutions and by laws, 
what the technology has not been designed for. Machines do not read 
resolutions, they obey programmes designed after standards discussed 
by engineers. Engineers seldom read resolutions because they do not 
speak their language and are paid to read their employer's policy statements.

This is why the first thing to do is to specify (in engineer's words) 
a technology adapted to what you want (today the technology is 
developped along what merchants want: this is something well 
documented by the IAB as the main risk for the Internet, in RFC 
3869). Then to develop it. Then to test it. Then to make it a 
standard. Then to make sure it deploys and is supported. All this is 
network adminance.

Then and only then you can motion and lobby for the law to enforce 
and protect what you already have permitted and demonstrated. This is 
network governance.

Your priority should be to help us (Internet Users Contributing 
Group) list the technical requirements to best support what you call 
net-neutrality:

- so we can explain them together in their own words to the IETF engineers.
- se we can integrate them into the documentation of the IUI 
(Internet Use Interface), i.e. the user oriented additional layers 
that have been introduced by the IDNA2008 concepts and we wait for 
the response of the IAB to know how and where to start documenting it.

Best
jefsey morfin
iucg facilitator