Subject: Re: [iucg] I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-02.txt

From: "J-F C. Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 02:27:40 +0100

At 16:56 20/02/2011, John C Klensin wrote:
>  IDNA2003 used normative tables and the IDNA2008 uses normative rules.

This is a very good definition. It does help explaining why new 
tables can be built to address new user needs along these IDNA2008 rules.

However, there is then a new rule which is implied (up-to-now I 
included it in the precautionary duty), which is to build and keep 
these IDNA2008 rules conformant tables interoperable.

IDNA2008 introduces the principle of subsidiarity, permitting the 
world digital ecosystem to also use the Internet to support diversity 
in general, and linguistic diversity in particular.  I understand the 
principle of subsidiairity as "the active respect of others' 
responsibilities". It comes with what we name "le principe de 
Suppléance" in French (I did not find its translation in English), 
which implies that what cannot be done at a lower level should be 
supported at the appropriate upper level. Interoperability is by 
definition an upper level service which must permit interoperability 
between IDNA2008 tables, Unicode tables, our INCSA explored tables 
(http://incsa.org) that will be introduced at MAAYA general  assembly 
in UNESCO tomorrow.

At this time, Unicode maintained ISO 10646 coding fullfils this job 
as long as IDNA is limited to scripts and not to broader semiotic. 
Ultimately the common referent should be sign oriented (any kind of 
sign : including move, sound, logo, scripts, computation, etc.) 
because in a people centric approach, the refererence should be the 
people's evolving perceptions rather than a table documented machine 
capability or a fixed way of scripting texts.  In other words, ISO 
10646/Unicode is a complexe and complete technical offer, not a 
simple open response to new user demands.(including preventing phishing).

Best
jfc