Subject: Re: [iucg] [GTLD-WG] Mark Carvell interviewed, etc.

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:11:12 +0100

At 00:01 26/01/2011, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
>  The GAC representative from the UK, Mark Carvell, has been asked his
>opinion about the future GAC/Board meeting in Brussels, speaking
>specifically about Intellectual Property Rights. An interesting blog
>sheds some light over recent developments in the GAC regarding that subject:
>http://domainincite.com/governments-to-take-trademark-concerns-to-icann/

At 08:26 09/02/2011, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
>http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20030809-281.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
>http://blog.internetgovernance.org/pdf/USGmonstrosity.pdf

These people are 1983 Star Strek 2.0 culture. DNs (Domain Names) as 
they consider them are only:
- a one class, one presentation, K$ 250 TLD tiny, ICANN USG delegated 
subset of
- IDNs (Internet Domain Names, with 40K presentations, 65K classes, 
millions of top level identifications, designation and denomination 
suffixes) that are themselves a subset of
- UDN (User Domain Names, with billions of ULD, Upper Level Domains) 
as everyone can rustically implementing them in using the hosts file.

For those ignoring what it exactly is: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29.
Those having more competences can use Bind by the Internet System 
Consortium. In Linux and Windows environments.
Or other various softwares as those documented in 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DNS_server_software can 
also be used.

The mistake these politicians do is to believe in their own wrong 
reading of IAB's for information RFC 2826 "IAB Technical Comment on 
the Unique DNS Root" where ICANN is not discussed, nor the nature 
(effective or virtual of the unique root), nor its management, nor 
the UDNS (Universal Domain Name System) the considered DNS belongs to 
nor, by the way, the ML-DNS (MultiLayer DNS) and the support of the 
multiple use, multiple technologies, multiple environment Naming Piles.

What they all should do, including ICANN staff and Rof Beckstrom, 
Suzane Sene and her GAC fellow members, is to (re)read an excellent 
compendium on the matter published as an Internet Coordination Policy 
- A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS (ICP-3) by the Californian 
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. This  Internet 
Coordination Policy - A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS 
(ICP-3) by the Californian Internet Corporation for Assigned Names 
and Numbers states "In an ever-evolving Internet, ultimately there 
may be better architectures for getting the job done where the need 
for a single, authoritative root will not be an issue. ... the 
transition to such an architecture, should it emerge, would require 
community-based approaches. In the interim, responsible 
experimentation should be encouraged, but it should not be done in a 
manner that affects those who do not consent after being informed of 
the character of the experiment."

I must say that I organnized, and carried for nearly two years, an 
ICP-3 conformant community test as ICANN suggested to IETF (the 
dot-root project). It involved 30 name servers organized in three 
parallel hierarchies. It was abundantly reported (on a paying basis, 
in French). It confirmed most what we expected in terms of practical 
UDNS capacity and internal possible conflicts. It lead to our 
positions irt. RFC 4647 and to the consensus we obtained regarding 
IDNA2008 and its architectural implications.

Now, when I want to access ICANN I enter "nuts" in my browser and 
there are years that I do not use any USG or altroots root file, just 
my PSL (personal suffix list). So, I think I belong to those possibly 
billions of e-gyptians who do not care too much of this wave of 
mubarackobamamania.

I must also say that I reported Project.FRA needs that IDNA2008 did 
not cover within the current IAB architectural framework 
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-iucg-afra-reports-00.txt, needing some 
more additions/.clarifications that IESG qualified as research. This 
research is under way and will responsibly experiment it, together 
with other xTLDs (experimental TLDs) during this year (we wish not to 
conflict with the USG's toy level domain as long as we have not our 
own DNS servers software able to easily support multiple Classes)

This research is obviously open to everyone, and calls for everyone 
to contribute

jfc
Internet Users Contributing Group.
[email-masked]
http://iucg.org