Subject: Re: [iucg] URL work in HTML 5

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:06:08 +0200

At 21:55 13/10/2012, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I know there are a lot of private conversations about this, but I'd 
>like to try, in the time frame of the next W3C TPAC and IETF 
>meetings, to work out a solution to the issue of "forking" the URL 
>specifications. Does everyone know what the issues are?
>Is everyone willing to talk about solutions?
>
>I think forking is harmful and unnecessary.
>
>Bcc:  "[email-masked]"  IETF W3C Liaison
>            "[email-masked]" W3C Web Applications group 
> chartered to work on something in W3C URL releated
>          "[email-masked]" W3C Technical Architecture Group, since 
> we discussed it
>         " [email-masked]" mailing list of IETF IRI working 
> group, responsible for IRI spec
>
>Did I leave anyone out?

IUCG is certainly interested discussing this from an IUser point of 
view. We are currently preparing a Draft on the syntax of digital 
names for the whole digital ecosystem (WDE) with the same ambition of 
not forking/keeping interoperable the URL specs. We are in the early 
phase of working on an Intelligent Use Digital Name Server prototype 
to support different namespaces, addressing plans, including DNS, 
IPv4 and IPv6 requests. We focus on multilinguistic naming, wiki 
exchanges and semantic addressing. At this stage CCN (content 
centered networking) with early considerations on "wiki 3.0" is the matter.
jfc

NB. We are still small, emerging and disseminated so our present 
working approach is to start from a real prototype services 
experimentation. We are in line with the report to the IESG  on the 
constraints met, for example by the French language semantic with the 
IDNA2008 RFCs (lack of support of majuscules) and the reliability 
issues discussed by the AD irt. the IDNA concept. We always said we 
would address this through the ML-DNS fringe to fringe architecture 
(the emerging IUTF area). Our interest includes "common names" and 
IPv6 address names (as local IPv6 addresses through IPv4 access) as well.