Subject: [iucg] what is the internet?

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:56:38 +0100

Dear Folks,

An issue that is repetedly discussed is "what is the internet?".
I have open the http://iucg.org/wiki/What_is_the_INTERNET%3F page to 
list the definition we could gather.

This question seems to be quite important as for IUsers it becomes 
increasingly obvious that with a "set of rules" of 7,000 non 
compacted/organized RFCs (obsoleted are part of the technical culture 
and may have to be considered on some occasions, but which ones? So 
you have to include them):

1. it is technologically difficult to understand how the transport 
stratum works.
2. the use support stratum is not considered as such, except 
occasionnally (correspondance with the Web, IDNA, websocket; etc.)
3. the current system arrangement gives everyone the feeling that it 
does not scale to the IUse expectations.

Therefore, it seems that we have to revive the project of a 
documentation of the Internet architecture. A first step would be to 
document the various définitions being used of the Internet in order 
to better know how to better introduce people to the differentiation 
of the transport and the use strata.

Best regards
jfc