Subject: [Jmap] Protocol Action: 'A JSON Meta Application Protocol (JMAP) Subprotocol for WebSocket' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jmap-websocket-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:45:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A JSON Meta Application Protocol (JMAP) Subprotocol for WebSocket'
  (draft-ietf-jmap-websocket-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JSON Mail Access Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-websocket/

Technical Summary:

   JMAP [RFC8620] defines a synchronization protocol that assumes that
   it is used over a secure transport protocol. The current HTTP binding
   for JMAP would require that each request be authenticated, which
   introduces significant overhead. The WebSocket binding defined in
   this document provides higher performance by allowing the connection
   to be authenticated once with subsequent requests taking advantage of
   the WebSocket state.

Working Group Summary:

   This document represents the consensus of the JMAP working group.
   Given the small size of the working group, the number of comments on
   the draft was limited, and the primary interest was from participants from
   FastMail. This draft was generally uncontroversial in the working group.

Document Quality:

   One known implementation of this draft exists for Cyrus.

Personnel:

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Jim Fenton.
   The responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.