Subject: [Jmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jmap-sieve-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 08:18:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the JSON Mail Access Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : JMAP for Sieve Scripts
        Author          : Kenneth Murchison
	Filename        : draft-ietf-jmap-sieve-06.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2021-11-08

Abstract:
   This document specifies a data model for managing Sieve scripts on a
   server using the JSON Meta Application Protocol (JMAP).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-sieve/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-jmap-sieve-06.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-jmap-sieve-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Hans-Joerg Happel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:49:17 +0100

Hi,

I just rechecked section 3 of the draft ("Compatibility with JMAP 
Vacation Response") and have some questions.

a) The draft says that section 3 applies to "Servers that implement the 
VacationResponse as a Sieve script that resides amongst other user scripts".

My main question: are there examples of systems which do so? Systems I 
know (e.g., Horde Groupware and several others) will expose vacation 
notices as a part (single rule) within the standard/active user script.

b) The draft further states that those servers "MUST allow the 
VacationResponse Sieve script to be [de]activated via the 
"onSuccessActivateScript"

In relation to (a), I am slightly confused here. Both ManageSieve (RFC 
5804) and the JMAP for Sieve draft allow at most one script to be active.

Essentially, that would either allow the "VacationResponse Sieve script" 
OR a "normal" user script to be active. Would that make any sense, or am 
I misunderstanding something here?

Best,
Hans-Joerg

On 08.11.21 17:18, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Jmap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jmap

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 14:14:56 -0500

On 11/9/21 12:49 PM, Hans-Joerg Happel wrote:
> a) The draft says that section 3 applies to "Servers that implement 
> the VacationResponse as a Sieve script that resides amongst other user 
> scripts".
>
> Essentially, that would either allow the "VacationResponse Sieve 
> script" OR a "normal" user script to be active. Would that make any 
> sense, or am I misunderstanding something here?

It looks like you've interpreted the current language correctly. If you, 
or anyone else, would like to see a different interaction with 
VacationResponse, I am open to changing it, and even more open to 
suggested text to do so.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Senior Software Developer
Fastmail US LLC