Subject: [jose] Encryption Capabilities

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:34:44 -0700

If we look at CMS we find that the following are basically super sets of
each other, thus we only really need to look at Authenticated Enveloped
Data.

Authenticated Enveloped Data > Enveloped Data > Encrypted Data

Open issues for support are:

1.   Multiple Recipients - Do we allow for multiple recipients for an
encrypted message or only one recipient?

2.  Recipient Method Identification - Are recipient methods to be defined by
a recipient type or just by the recipient encryption method?

3.  Recipient Encryption Methods - Which of the following key encryption
methods are to be supported?
	Key Transport - i.e. RSA
	Key Agreement - i.e. ECDH
	Pre-Shared Secret w/o Key Derivation - i.e. known key
	Pre-shared Secret w/ Key Derivation - i.e. password derived
	Other - do we allow for other types defined in non-canonical
documents? Examples might be IBE or Plasma based methods

4.  Key Identification Methods - What methods are used to identify recipient
and sender keys?  What types of keys are to be supported?  X509 certs? JSON
keys?  Bare Keys?

5.  Content identification - See same issue for Signatures

6.  Content Location - See same issue for Signatures 

7.  Authenticated Attributes - Do we support some form of authenticated
attributes for AEAD algorithms?

8.  Unauthenticated Attributes - Do we support some form of unauthenticated
attributes?

Jim