Subject: [karp] draft-ietf-karp-ops-model

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:11:04 -0400

We've lightly updated the karp ops model document in order to unexpire
it and to improve readability a bit.

For this document to really make forward progress, we need to have a
number of discussions:

1) I think it would be valuable to make an effort to update the key
table draft and make decisions related to that draft in order to address
questions coming out of draft-ietf-karp-ops-model, the integration of
key table support in OSPF, and our attempts to use the key table in
automated key management.  In other words, we have some experience
trying to use the key table abstraction in specs and now we should go
sit down in a small group work through what worked well and what didn't
and propose some stuff to the WG to consider.

2) The WG needs to consider some questions about what scope keys needs
to be represented at and how we want to do that in our operational
model.
This will be easier after 1.

3) We need to get together with operators and understand their
requirements for upgrade and deployment and how that interacts with
KARP.

4) We need to get together with router vendors--particularly the folks
that focus on configuration schemas and management models--and make some
decisions about what we want to require in order for people to be able
to manage KARP. Vendors can of course go beyond this.