Subject: Re: [karp] KARP-KMP for pair wise routing protocols (traffic selectors)

From: "Michael Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:26:02 -0700

------ Original Message ------
Received: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 02:22:36 PM PDT
From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
To: Russ White <[email-masked]>Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [karp] KARP-KMP for pair wise routing protocols (traffic
selectors)

> >>>>> "Russ" == Russ White <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>     Russ> For what it's worth, I will agree with Sam here. At some point
>     Russ> in the future you might want to be able to have multiple
>     Russ> sessions running between the same pair of peers, and have them
>     Russ> authenticated separately.  
> 
> 
> Russ, as part of designing a KMP proposal we've tried to come up with a
> situation where an operator would like to do this.  So far we've failed.
> We can easily come up with reasons to have multiple sessions between two
> peers.  So far though, we've been unable to come up with reasons why
> you'd want to use different authentication for these two sessions.
> Can you help us with use cases?

How about in a public data center? You may have separate control plane
instances with different admins, needing independent security, but running on
the same wire.

-M

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 20:27:16 -0400

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Barnes <[email-masked]> writes:

    Michael> How about in a public data center? You may have separate
    Michael> control plane instances with different admins, needing
    Michael> independent security, but running on the same wire.

More detail would be appreciated on this.