Subject: [KEYPROV] [issue4] Should TokenID and KeyID be string instead of binary?

From: Andrea Doherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:26:23 +0000

Andrea Doherty <[email-masked]> added the comment:

Based on discussion in the KEYPROV WG meeting in Chicago, it is not within the 
KEYPROV charter to have a position on the explicit specification of a key 
identifier and namespace.  Rather, the goal is that anything the IEEE P1619.3 
group (or any other application) wants to specify should be supportable by 
attributes defined in a KEYPROV key container.  More specifically, with regard 
to the KEYPROV key id work:
•	DSKPP, in combination with whatever key container format it defines, 
should make available all of the key metadata (e.g., KeyID, attributes and 
namespace) required of an application and leave it up to the application to 
format the data in accordance with its key identifier specification. As such, 
there was a general preference for the namespace not being encoded with the ID.
•	The following proposal was generally agreeable (although not 
required):  A two-level URI + ID scheme, e.g., <KeyID 
issuer="http://example.com/policy#3">0123456789</KeyID (Note that preference 
was also for specifying the identifier itself as a string rather than as 
base64Binary.)
While the KEYPROV WG does not want to make alignment with P1619.3 key id 
specification a roadblock to progress, it does want to ensure that the 
container is capable of supporting P1619.3.  Two possibilities for P1619.3 are 
to:
•	Generate a key identifier specification and leave it to KEYPROV use 
cases or a later profile to address, and/or to
•	Review the KEYPROV container specification(s) and ensure that they 
adequately allow for P1619.3 profiles to be defined

----------
status: chatting -> done-cbb

_________________________________________________________
KEYPROV Roundup Issue Tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.tschofenig.priv.at:8080/keyprov/issue4>
_________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
KEYPROV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov