Subject: Re: [KEYPROV] draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

From: "Philip Hoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:00:38 +0100

Dan,

Could you please see if you can verify the examples in the attached
draft as I have corrected both the pre-shared key one and the PBE one.

Thanks,

Philip

________________________________

From: Pei, Mingliang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 2:41 AM
To: Dan Smith; [email-masked]
Cc: Philip Hoyer; [email-masked]; KEYPROV
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for reviewing and verifying the data in PSKC draft.
Sorry for the delayed following up. Please see my comments inline.

- Ming

________________________________

	From: Dan Smith [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 8:10 AM
	To: [email-masked]'
	Subject: draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

	Hi there,

	I have a few quick comments on the samples included in the PSKC
draft at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc-04.

	Section 6.1. Encryption based on Pre-Shared Keys

	The text says "The name of the pre-secret is "Example-Key1", as
set in the <KeyName> element", but in the actual XML the key name is set
to Pre-shared-key:

	     <EncryptionKey>
	         <ds:KeyName>Pre-shared-key</ds:KeyName>
	     </EncryptionKey>
	
	[Pei, Mingliang] Good catch. We will add this into revision
list.

	In the example message in 6.1, what is the value MAC calculated
on? I can come up with the same <CipherValue> elements, but I cannot
figure out how to compute the <ValueMAC>. In the example in message 6.2,
the value MAC is calculated on the bytes inside the <xenc:CipherValue>
element that contains the encrypted key, but this doesn't appear to be
the case in the example in 6.1.
	 
	[Pei, Mingliang]  ValueMAC should be computed over the encrypted
value. See section 4.1. We will double check the values.

	Section 6.2. Encryption based on Passphrase-based Keys

	For the example in this section, I can compute the same
<CipherValue> containing the encrypted key and the same <ValueMAC> as
shown in the example. However, I cannot compute the same <CipherValue>
for the encrypted MAC key. I think the value shown is wrong. The IV +
encrypted MAC key in the example is 64 bytes long, but a 16 byte IV and
20 bytes encrypted using AES-128-CBC should give 16+32 = 48 bytes of
data.

	[Pei, Mingliang]  You are right, it should be 48 bytes. My
examples show 48 byte too. See attached. It will be great if you could
verify the attached example. I will trace down how the version of value
gets into the example in the doc. Thanks.

	Other than this, thanks for including the real examples in the
draft, they have been very helpful.

	Dan Smith

	Software Developer

	Entrust

---

From: "Philip Hoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:00:56 +0100

Excellent Dan,

Thanks for your help,

Philip

From: Dan Smith [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:58 PM
To: oath_technical
Cc: [email-masked]'; 'KEYPROV'; 'Pei, Mingliang'
Subject: [OATH Technical] RE: draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

Hi Phil,

That was more interesting than what I was supposed to be doing ;) With
the changes, I can now verify the examples in sections 6.1 and 6.2.
Thanks for making the changes.

Dan Smith

From: Dan Smith 
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:01 AM
To: 'Philip Hoyer'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; KEYPROV; Pei, Mingliang
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

Hi Phil,

I will see if I can find some time today to verify the examples.

From: Philip Hoyer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:01 AM
To: Dan Smith; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; KEYPROV; Pei, Mingliang
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc PSKC draft 04

Dan,

Thanks,

Philip

Hi Dan,

- Ming

	Hi there,

	     <EncryptionKey>

	 

	Dan Smith

	Software Developer

	Entrust

oath_technical | Archives
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/1323/=now>
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/1323/> | Modify
<https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=3404862&id_secret=3404862-175
21405>  Your Subscription

 <http://www.listbox.com>