Subject: [KEYPROV] Standardization effort: Public Keys in JSON

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:59:50 +0100

Apparently the research branches of Microsoft and Google have begun losing
faith in X.509 as well as in XML for large-scale deployments on the web:

http://self-issued.info/?p=390

Personally, I do not see how a format can change the basic issues that much.

Sometimes I get feeling that people are getting desperate of the [admittedly]
limited progress in this space but fail to see that this is mainly due to the
fact that you need to get a much wider bunch of people on board than your
average security standard effort requires like:

- Browser developers
- Platform architects
- Hardware device vendors and experts
- Usability connoisseurs
- Privacy advocates (well....)
- Protocol designers
- Product managers
- Potential users

If you multiply this list by N number of fierce competitors, obsessed with IPR
and powered by NIH, it pretty easy to see that it is a lost case from day #1.

That doesn't imply that nothing will ever happen; something will surely happen
but it won't be through traditional standardization processes because these have
proven [over and over again] to not "deliver".

Anders