Subject: LAST CALL COMMENT: draft-ietf-kitten-2478bis-02: section 4 (was : Last word on MechListMIC encoding)

From: "Liqiang\(Larry\) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:51:29 -0800

Frank Balluffi wrote:
> I would expect a mechTypes element in a NegTokenInit to be prefixed
with A0

Incorrect, can you take a look at Tom's posting on the encoding?

Thanks,

-- Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Frank Balluffi
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 3:01 PM
To: Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Last word on MechListMIC encoding

Wyllys,

Because draft-ietf-kitten-2478bis-02.txt says EXPLICIT:

      SPNEGOASNOneSpec {
          iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6) internet(1)
          security(5) mechanism(5) snego (2) modules(4) spec2(2)
      } DEFINITIONS EXPLICIT TAGS ::= BEGIN

      -- rest of definitions here

      END

I would expect a mechTypes element in a NegTokenInit to be prefixed with
A0 nn -- mechTypes is EXPLICITly tagged with 0:

       NegTokenInit ::= SEQUENCE {
           mechTypes       [0] MechTypeList,
           reqFlags        [1] ContextFlags  OPTIONAL,
           mechToken       [2] OCTET STRING  OPTIONAL,
           mechListMIC     [3] OCTET STRING  OPTIONAL,
           ...
       }

Frank

                      Wyllys Ingersoll

                      <wyllys.ingersoll@        To:
[email-masked]

                      sun.com>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Last word on
MechListMIC encoding                                             
                      kitten-bounces@lis

                      ts.ietf.org

                      12/02/2004 09:50

                      AM

The latest draft  submitted (-02) specifically states how the
MechListMIC is to be encoded:
Section 5, item 'a' says:
        [...] only the DER encoding of the type MechTypeList is
included.

I interpret this to mean the following in the case where the MechList
contains the Kerberos OID (as an example):
       30 nn 06 09 2A 86 48 86 F7 12 01 02 02 ...

This is acceptable to me (even though it breaks our current
implementation, which I seriously doubt that anyone is interoperating
with anyway since its not yet released).

Is everyone else in agreement about the definition of how to encode the
MIC  and with the text as it is written?

-Wyllys Ingersoll

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any
unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

---

From: "Frank Balluffi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:11:50 -0500

Got it -- my bad. You might want to add something like the following to 5. a):

"excluding the outer [0] EXPLICIT tag and length"

Frank

                      "Liqiang\(Larry\)                                                                                                
                      Zhu"                     To:       Frank Balluffi/NewYork/DBNA/DeuBa@DBNA, "Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll"  
                      <[email-masked]        cc:       <[email-masked]>, "Tom Yu" <[email-masked]>                                    
                      rosoft.com>              Subject:  LAST CALL COMMENT: draft-ietf-kitten-2478bis-02: section 4 (was : Last word   
                                                on MechListMIC encoding)                                                               
                      12/02/2004 10:51                                                                                                 
                      PM                                                                                                               

with A0

Thanks,

-- Larry

-----Original Message-----

Wyllys,

      SPNEGOASNOneSpec {

      END

Frank

                      Wyllys Ingersoll

                      <wyllys.ingersoll@        To:
[email-masked]

                      sun.com>                  cc:

                      ts.ietf.org

                      12/02/2004 09:50

                      AM

-Wyllys Ingersoll

--

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.