Subject: RFC 4178 on The Simple and Protected Generic Security Service Application Program Interface (GSS-API) Negotiation Mechanism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:30:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4178

        Title:      The Simple and Protected Generic Security Service
                    Application Program Interface (GSS-API)
                    Negotiation Mechanism
        Author(s):  L. Zhu, P. Leach, K. Jaganathan, W. Ingersoll
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 46485
        Obsoletes:  2478

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-kitten-2478bis-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4178.txt

This document specifies a negotiation mechanism for the Generic
Security Service Application Program Interface (GSS-API), which is
described in RFC 2743.  GSS-API peers can use this negotiation
mechanism to choose from a common set of security mechanisms.
If per-message integrity services are available on the established
mechanism context, then the negotiation is protected against an
attacker that forces the selection of a mechanism not desired by the
peers.

This mechanism replaces RFC 2478 in order to fix defects in that
specification and to describe how to inter-operate with
implementations of that specification that are commonly deployed on
the Internet.

This document is a product of the Kitten (GSS-API Next Generation)
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten