Subject: draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names-02.txt - did not get published by the IETF Secretariat

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 23:14:44 -0400

The attached message from Nico Williams was sent to the
[email-masked] mailbox prior to the cutoff date
one minute after draft-ietf-kitten-krb5-gssapi-domain-based-names-02.txt
which was published.  The draft was neither published nor rejected.
Due to this failure on the part of the IETF Secretariat a Working Group
Last Call which I intended to announce tonight on both of these
documents will be postponed until both documents are published.

In the meantime, please find the time to review these documents.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Altman

Subject: draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names-02.txt
From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:40:26 -0500

NETWORK WORKING GROUP                                        N. Williams
Internet-Draft                                                       Sun
Expires: December 28, 2006                                 June 26, 2006

            GSS-API Domain-Based Service Names and Name Type
           draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names-02.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on December 28, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

Abstract

   This document describes domainname-based service principal names and
   the corresponding name type for the Generic Security Service
   Application Programming Interface (GSS-API).

   Domain-based service names are similar to host-based service names,
   but using a domain name (not necessarily an Internet domain name)
   instead of or in addition to a hostname.  The primary purpose of
   domain-based service names is to provide a way to name clustered
   services after the domain which they service, thereby allowing their

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

   clients to authorize the service's servers based on authentication of
   their names.

Table of Contents

   1.    Conventions used in this document  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.    Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.    Name Type OID and Symbolic Name  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   4.    Query and Display Syntaxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   5.    Examples . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   6.    Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   7.    References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   7.1.  Normative  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   7.2.  Informative  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
         Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
         Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . 11

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

1.  Conventions used in this document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

2.  Introduction

   The use of hostbased principal names for domain-wide services
   presents the problem of how to distinguish between an instance of a
   hostbased service that is authorized to respond for a domain and one
   that isn't.

   Consider LDAP.  LDAP [RFC3377] with SASL [RFC2222] and the Kerberos V
   mechanism [RFC1964] for the GSS-API [RFC2743] uses a hostbased
   principal with a service name of "ldap", a reasonable approach,
   provided there is only one logical LDAP directory in a Kerberos
   realm's domain, and that all ldap servers in that realm serve that
   one LDAP directory.  An network might have multiple, distinct LDAP
   services, but only one LDAP "name service"; if so then clients could
   not tell which LDAP service principals are authorized to serve which
   directory, not without assuming a secure method for finding LDAP
   servers (e.g., DNSSEC).  This is a significant, and oft-unstated
   restriction on users of LDAP.

   Domain based names can eliminate this problem: the use of domain-
   based names should imply that the given host is a server for the
   official LDAP name service of the given domain.

   Notwithstanding the LDAP example the use of domain-based principal
   names for LDAP is not actually specified here and will be specified
   in a separate document.

   A domain-based name consists of three required elements:

   o  a service name

   o  a domain name

   o  a hostname

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

3.  Name Type OID and Symbolic Name

   The new name type has an OID of

      [NOTE: OID assignment to be made with IANA.]

      {iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) security(5) nametypes(6) gss-
      domain-based(5)}

   The recommended symbolic name for this GSS-API name type is
   "GSS_C_NT_DOMAINBASED_SERVICE".

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

4.  Query and Display Syntaxes

   There is a single name syntax for domain-based names.

   The syntax is:

      domain-based-name :=

         | <service> '@' <domain> '@' <hostname>

   Note that for Internet domain names the trailing '.' is not and MUST
   NOT be included in the domain name (or hostname) parts of the display
   form GSS-API domain-based MNs.

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

5.  Examples

   o  [email-masked]@ds1.example.tld

   o  [email-masked]@kdc1.example.tld

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

6.  Security Considerations

   Use of GSS-API domain-based names may not be negotiable by some GSS-
   API mechanisms, and some acceptors may not support GSS-API domain-
   based names.  In such cases initiators are left to fallback on the
   use of hostbased names, in which case the initiators MUST also verify
   that the acceptor's hostbased name is authorized to provide the given
   service for the domain that the initiator had wanted.

   The above security consideration also applies to all GSS-API
   initiators who lack support for domain-based service names.

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

7.  References

7.1.  Normative

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [RFC2743]  Linn, J., "Generic Security Service Application Program
              Interface Version 2, Update 1", RFC 2743, January 2000.

7.2.  Informative

   [RFC1964]  Linn, J., "The Kerberos Version 5 GSS-API Mechanism",
              RFC 1964, June 1996.

   [RFC2222]  Myers, J., "Simple Authentication and Security Layer
              (SASL)", RFC 2222, October 1997.

   [RFC3377]  Hodges, J. and R. Morgan, "Lightweight Directory Access
              Protocol (v3): Technical Specification", RFC 3377,
              September 2002.

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

Author's Address

   Nicolas Williams
   Sun Microsystems
   5300 Riata Trace Ct
   Austin, TX  78727
   US

   Email: [email-masked]

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006              [Page 10]

Internet-Draft           GSS Domain Based Names                June 2006

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Disclaimer of Validity

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  This document is subject
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Williams                Expires December 28, 2006              [Page 11]

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten