Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call: GSS-API Domain-Based Service Names and Name Type

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:03:49 -0400

Working Group Last Call has been successfully completed and the
draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names-03.txt
will be forwarded to the IESG with a request for IETF Last Call and
Publication.

During the discussion of this draft -02 the following issues were raised:

 - Sam wanted a better outline of how applications might use
   domain-based names.  I'm not sure whether Sam wants text for the
   drafts or merely discussion on the list.

 - Sam and Jeff H. were concerned about the SASL framework vis-a-vis
   domain-based names.

 - Jeff Hutzelman wanted

    - A clarification on just what is a "domain"

    - A new feature in the Kerberos V GSS-API mechanism relating to
      domain-based names: initiator-side fallback on hostbased naming
      with domainnames as hostnames with acceptor-side acceptor
      credential sharing.

These issues were addressed in draft -03 and I believe that there is
consensus among the participants that draft -03 addresses these issues.
During the discussion of this draft there were many threads which did
not specifically deal with the contents of this draft but instead raised
concerns with the use of GSS-API by higher level application protocols
and the reliance of certain GSS-API implementations on DNS.  These
discussions while important are not specific to this draft and should
not block its submission to the IESG.

Jeffrey Altman
Kitten Chair

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> The Kitten Chair has received a request to submit "GSS-API Domain-Based
> Service Names and Name Type"
> <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names-02.txt>
> to the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.
> 
> Abstract
> 
>    This document describes domainname-based service principal names and
>    the corresponding name type for the Generic Security Service
>    Application Programming Interface (GSS-API).
> 
>    Domain-based service names are similar to host-based service names,
>    but using a domain name (not necessarily an Internet domain name)
>    instead of or in addition to a hostname.  The primary purpose of
>    domain-based service names is to provide a way to name clustered
>    services after the domain which they service, thereby allowing their
>    clients to authorize the service's servers based on authentication of
>    their names.
> 
> A two week Working Group Last Call is being initiated to determine if
> this document is ready for publication.   Positive acknowledgment of
> document review and feedback is requested.
> 
> The working group last call will terminate at 00:00 EDT 30 August 2006.
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Kitten mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten
_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten