Subject: Re: [kitten] Where is the host-based service registry

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:31:11 +0100

Sam Hartman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I recall that there is a registry of host-based services (things like
> host, imap, xmpp, ldap, etc) the service component of
> GSS_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE.  Where is that registry? A quick google of
> IANA failed to find it.

RFC 2743 says:

   Documents specifying means for GSS integration into a particular
   protocol should state either:

      (a) that a specific IANA-registered name associated with that
      protocol shall be used for the "service" element (this admits, if
      needed, the possibility that a single name can be registered and
      shared among a related set of protocols), or

      (b) that the generic name "host" shall be used for the "service"
      element, or

      (c) that, for that protocol, fallback in specified order (a, then
      b) or (b, then a) shall be applied.

   IANA registration of specific names per (a) should be handled in
   accordance with the "Specification Required" assignment policy,
   defined by BCP 26, RFC 2434 as follows: "Values and their meaning
   must be documented in an RFC or other available reference, in
   sufficient detail so that interoperability between independent
   implementations is possible."

Possibly the registry was never created?

One alternative could be to point at the IANA well-known port registry.

/Simon