Subject: [kitten] WG Action: RECHARTER: Common Authentication Technology Next Generation (kitten)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:34:11 -0700 (PDT)

The Common Authentication Technology Next Generation (kitten) working 
group in the Security Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For 
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working 
group Chairs.

Common Authentication Technology Next Generation (kitten)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs: 
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
  Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
  Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors: 
 Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>  
 Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor: 
 Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>  

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/kitten/

Description of Working Group:

The Generic Security Services (GSS) API and Simple Authentication and
Security Layer (SASL) provide various applications with a security
framework for secure network communication. The purpose of the Common
Authentication Technology Next Generation (Kitten) working group (WG) is
to develop extensions/improvements to the GSS-API, shepherd specific
GSS-API security mechanisms, and provide guidance for any new SASL-
related submissions.

This working is chartered to specify the following extensions and
improvements (draft-yu-kitten-api-wishlist-00) to the GSS-API:

* Provide new interfaces for credential management, which include the
following:
   initializing credentials
   iterating credentials
   exporting/importing credentials

* Specify interface for asynchronous calls.

* Negotiable replay cache avoidance

* Define interfaces for better error message reporting.

* Provide a more programmer friendly GSS-API for application developers.
This could include reducing the number of interface parameters, for
example, by eliminating parameters which are commonly used with the
default values.

* Specify an option for exporting partially-established security
  contexts and possibly a utility function for exporting security
  contexts in an encrypted form, as well as a corresponding utility
  function to decrypt and import such security context tokens.

This WG is also chartered to finalize proposed SASL mechanisms as
GSS-API mechanisms (based on RFC 5801):

* A SASL Mechanism for OpenID

   draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-openid

* SASL Mechanisms for SAML:

   draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml
   draft-cantor-ietf-kitten-saml-ec

The SAML mechanism drafts will include applicability
statement text to highlight when each is appropriate
for use.

* A SASL Mechanism for OAuth

   draft-mills-kitten-sasl-oauth

The transition from SASL to GSS-API mechanisms will allow a greater set
of applications to utilize said mechanisms with SASL implementations
that support the use of GSS-API mechanisms in SASL (RFC 5801).

This WG should review proposals for new SASL and GSS-API mechanisms, but
may take on work on such mechanisms only through a revision of this
charter. The WG should also review non-mechanism proposals related to
SASL and the GSS-API. However, work that adds SASL or GSS-API support in
application protocols is out of scope and should be handled by the
corresponding application's WG.

Deliverables:

* GSS-API: initializing credentials

* GSS-API: iterating credentials

* GSS-API: exporting/importing credentials

* GSS-API: specification for asynchronous calls

* GSS-API: interfaces/improvements for better error message reporting

* GSS-API: programmer friendly interfaces

* SASL: SASL mechanism for OpenID

* SASL: SASL mechanisms for SAML

* SASL: SASL mechanism for OAuth

* GSS-API: publish draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-extensions-iana

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 2011  Submit SASL OpenID mechanism to the IESG as Proposed Standard
Jul 2011  Submit naming-exts to the IESG as Proposed Standard
Jul 2011  WGLC on gssapi-extensions-iana
Aug 2011  Submit SASL SAML mechanisms to the IESG as Proposed Standard
Sep 2011  Submit gssapi-extensions-iana to the IESG as Proposed Standard
Oct 2011  Submit SASL OAuth mechanism to the IESG as Proposed Standard