Subject: [kitten] Minting URIs for a draft?

From: "Cantor, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:22:58 +0000

Is there any mechanism to mint URIs out of the IETF's namespace for my
SAMLEC draft, or is that just left to the final publication step?

There's no registry involved, so I wondered if there was an expedited way
to do it ahead of time.

Or should I not use IETF's domain for this and pick something else? I
can't really use OASIS because it's not an OASIS spec, but I could
artificially mint some URIs in an OASIS document to get around that.

-- Scott

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:25:58 -0600

On 9/17/12 9:22 AM, Cantor, Scott wrote:
> Is there any mechanism to mint URIs out of the IETF's namespace for
> my SAMLEC draft, or is that just left to the final publication
> step?

You could use the urn:ietf: tree.

> There's no registry involved, so I wondered if there was an
> expedited way to do it ahead of time.
> 
> Or should I not use IETF's domain for this

You should not use http://www.ietf.org/ as the base for generating
namespace URIs.

> and pick something else? I can't really use OASIS because it's not
> an OASIS spec, but I could artificially mint some URIs in an OASIS
> document to get around that.

I'd recommend IETF URNs. See registration examples here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6120#section-14

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Cantor, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:36:16 +0000

>http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6120#section-14

Thanks for the pointer. The XML REG RFC doesn't actually mention the use
case I have, which is for a URI constant, not an XML namespace or any of
the other types of identifiers mentioned. Is that a problem?

-- Scott