Subject: Re: [kitten] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-kitten-iakerb-00.txt

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 14:02:23 -0400

Today I did a more careful comparison of draft-zhu-ws-kerb vs.
draft-ietf-kitten-iakerb, and uncovered a second superficial difference.
 draft-zhu-ws-kerb states:

   The initial context establishment token of IAKERB MUST have the
   generic token framing described in section 3.1 of [RFC2743] with the
   mechanism OID being id-kerberos-iakerb, and any subsequent IAKERB
   context establishment token MUST NOT have this token framing.

while draft-kitten-ietf-iakerb states:

   All context establishment token of IAKERB MUST have the generic token
   framing described in section 3.1 of [RFC2743] with the mechanism OID
   being id-kerberos-iakerb.

Luckily, MIT's implementation allows framing to be present for all
context establishment tokens.  This makes the situation tractable; we
can change our code to always generate framing, without breaking
compatibility with ourselves.

I will send a separate message (in a different thread) with a list of
options for handling the compatibility differences.