Subject: [kitten] SPAKE key usage and padata type assignments

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:57:28 -0400

I have assigned the following key usage numbers to SPAKE preauth:

65  KEY_USAGE_SPAKE_TRANSCRIPT
66  KEY_USAGE_SPAKE_FACTOR

Those assignments are sufficient to generate test vectors.  We also need
to assign a padata type.  RFC 6113 established an IANA registry for
padata types with new registrations subject to expert review.

I think it would be reasonable to ask for a padata type registration at
this time.  Aside from the addition of the edwards25519 group (which
would benefit from another non-coauthor +1), I am not aware of any open
questions which could lead to non-interoperable changes in the protocol.

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:47:42 -0500

> padata types with new registrations subject to expert review.

Subject to expert review, provided that they only authenticate clients
authenticate KDCs, and/or establish the reply key, which does appear to
be the case here.

> I think it would be reasonable to ask for a padata type registration at

I concur.  Would you like me to make the request with my chair hat?

> questions which could lead to non-interoperable changes in the protocol.

Me, neither.

And yes, it would be very nice to have another no-coauthor +1.
Though my current inclination is that we should go ahead with that
change anyway, in the absence of any objections.

-Ben

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 00:20:44 -0400

> I concur.  Would you like me to make the request with my chair hat?

Sure, please do so.