Subject: [L2CP] RE: Proposed BOF Agenda

From: "Wojciech Dec \(wdec\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:26:20 +0100

Hi All,

A few participants have approached me asking what is the purpose of the
"Issues" item on the agenda, so I'll try to clarify; this part of the
meeting is intended to highlight *potential* areas of future WG activity
relating to protocol work, be they due to some gaps in GSMP as
discovered in test implementations, or L2CP specific extensions. Perhaps
a more apt name would perhaps be "Protocol Challenges".
In order to address a concern of presenting these protocol challenges in
a view neutral to all parties, I would like to propose to move this item
into point 4 of the agenda and have it presented by the BoF chairs. 
All this translates into a change of the outstanding request to the L2CP
list participants to actually provide the "Challenges" input. Thus, I
would like to ask all parties who have such input to send it directly to
myself and Matthew Bocci (cc'ed here). The idea format would be *1
slide* presenting in high level points format the issues along with any
additional explanatory material intended for the better understanding of
the points.
Matthew and myself would then roll up the collected high level input
into a few slides for presentation at the BoF.

In terms of process, Matthew and myself would like to receive any such
input by 1700 CET Tuesday March 14.
We will then collect the material, and contact individuals should any of
the points not be clear. After this will post the collated material for
group review by EOB Thursday March 16.

None of the above alters the previous invitation to post and discuss
issues/challenges openly on the mailing list, and in fact I would like
to encourage such discussion as a means of getting to a consensus.

Revised agenda follows below.

Rgds,
Woj.

---------

DESCRIPTION

There is significant interest in the use of an IP based Layer 2 device
Control Protocol to manage and configure service provider access network
equipment. This BOF will present a summary of the problem areas and
requirements as identified by discussions in the DSL Forum. A set of
protocol solution proposals based on modifications and extensions to the
GSMPv3 protocol and items for future work will also be presented. Based
on the discussion, we will determine whether we should form an IETF WG
covering this topic.

The proposed agenda for a 1hr BOF is as follows:

1. Introduction/agenda tweaking (Chair - 5 min) 
2. Problem description (T. Haag, DT - 15 min)
 - Topology discovery
 - Line configuration
 - OAM
 - Multicast
 - History
3. Overview of proposed protocol solution (S. Wadhwa, Juniper - 15 min)
 - Currently proposed GSMP protocol extensions
 - Current status of implementation
4. Proposed work items (Chair - 5 min)
 - Protocol challenges
 - Framework and requirements document
 - Solution document (extensions)
 - MIBs
5. Discussion and Focus (20 min)
 - Interest in WG Formation 

READING LIST and BACKGROUND REFERENCES

Related Internet-Drafts:

GSMP extensions for layer2 control            
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wadhwa-gsmp-l2control-configur
ation-00.txt

Framework and Requirements for a Layer 2 Control Protocol (L2CP) in
Broadband Multi-Service Networks
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ooghe-l2cp-framework-00.txt

General Switch Management Protocol documents:

General Switch Management Protocol v3 - RFC3292
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3292.txt?number=3292

Draft GSMPv3 Base Specification
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-gsmp-v3-base-spec-07.txt

Other document listed under the GSMP work group charter
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/OLD/gsmp-charter.html

DSL Forum documents:

Layer 2 Control Protocol use-cases (DSL Forum work in progress)
PD21 - Liaised to the IETF by the DSL Forum on December 8th, 2005.
dsl2005.052.doc.

--
To subscribe to the L2CP discussion list please visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp
L2CP Discussion archive:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l2cp/current/index.html
GSMP discussion archive:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gsmp/current/index.html

_______________________________________________
L2cp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp

---

From: "Peter Arberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:00:49 +0100

Hi Wojciech,

As a small entry for the issues section, I think it would be
good to list L2CP usage of additional GSMP event messages.

In particular I'm think of usage of the "New Port" and "Dead Port"
event messages.

In todays draft, the event messages are limited to "Port Up" and
"Port Down", but in a universal DSL environment, where the
line encoding can change from ATM to Ethernet, and as such
the Access-Loop-Circuit-ID will also change.

This can cause stale entries in the BNG's database, where if we
expanded the L2CP protocol to use additional event messages this
can be avoided.

Instead of discussing it as a missing part in the present draft, I
would like to focus on how we make the existing draft a base set
of requirements, and expandandable for future enhancements like this.

cheers,
Peter

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wojciech Dec (wdec) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 8. marts 2006 14:26
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [L2CP] RE: Proposed BOF Agenda
> 
> Hi All,
>