Subject: [L2CP] Another charter issue

From: "Sadler, Jonathan B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:18:44 -0600

The charter seems very slanted to the BRAS/DSLAM direct control configuration.  This may work for cases where the router (BRAS or otherwise) is directly, and exclusively, connected to the DSLAM.  However, there may be additional aggregation equipment between the BRAS and DSLAM (e.g. ethernet switches) that provide fan-out.  These will also need to be controlled.
 
Instead of having the BRAS configuring all of the devices in the chain (and becoming a management system!), it may be possible to have a control plane to do the configuration.  This is the normal mode for NE-NE configuration, and allows for each device to configure/control its resources (and impose policy).
 
As written, the current charter precludes this approach to configuration.  It would be good to expand it to cover this possible approach.
 
Jonathan Sadler
============================================================
The information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reproduction,
dissemination or distribution of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Tellabs
============================================================
_______________________________________________
L2cp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp

---

From: "Sandy Ng \(swkeng\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:45:31 -0800

Hi Jonathan, 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sadler, Jonathan B. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:19 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [L2CP] Another charter issue
> 
> The charter seems very slanted to the BRAS/DSLAM direct 
> control configuration.  This may work for cases where the 
> router (BRAS or otherwise) is directly, and exclusively, 
> connected to the DSLAM.  However, there may be additional 
> aggregation equipment between the BRAS and DSLAM (e.g. 
> ethernet switches) that provide fan-out.  These will also 
> need to be controlled.

We have addressed the point in the meeting that the charter will not
exculde other areas of applications where L2CP will see fit in the
future.

Thanks,
Sandy

>  
> Instead of having the BRAS configuring all of the devices in 
> the chain (and becoming a management system!), it may be 
> possible to have a control plane to do the configuration.  
> This is the normal mode for NE-NE configuration, and allows 
> for each device to configure/control its resources (and 
> impose policy).
>  
> As written, the current charter precludes this approach to 
> configuration.  It would be good to expand it to cover this 
> possible approach.
>  
> Jonathan Sadler
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any 
> reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this 
> communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received 
> this communication in error, please notify us immediately by 
> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. 
> Thank you. Tellabs