Subject: Re: [L2CP] On Partitioning

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:34:32 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Patrick MENSCH wrote
> 
> 
>> A multi-edge architecture could be realized by allowing
>> two VC's/VLAN's on the same DSL line to belong to two
>> different partitions or by allowing a single partition
>> to be controlled by multiple BNGs.
> 
> I have two questions here:
> 
> 1) If (?) we assume that one partition is associated with one GSMP
> session, how could a single partition be controlled by multiple
> BNGs ?

No, this only works if a single partition is associated
with multiple GSMP sessions.  For topology discovery and
OAM, I see no issue with this.  For the other use cases,
there may be conflicts and the framework needs to define
what needs to be done in that case (e.g. by configuration
or setup, only 1 of the 2 edges is allowed to control the
transactional multicast part).

> 2) I don't see how a DSL line could be associated to several BNGs when
> dealing with L2CP: if the physical rate of a DSL line would be reported
> to several BNGs (for topology discovery) how would each BNG use this
> line rate value to control its own shaper to the DSLAM ?

Again, this is open for discussion.  One possible scenario
could be this - suppose we have two BNG's: one for video
and one for HSI.  If a customer is subscribed to two video
streams with a total bandwidth of 9Mbps, the video BNG
'reserves' this bandwidth in the access node.  The access
node in turn informs the HSI BNG (e.g. via a port-up message)
that 9Mbps of the phsycial bandwidth is reserved so that the
available bandwidth for best effort traffic is equal to the
sync rate minus the 9Mbps.  The HSI BNG can then adapt his
shaper accordingly.  Other scenarios like direct BNG-to-BNG
interaction are possible as well.

We are currently in the phase of defining the framework so
investigating these possibilities, independent of the protocol
used between BNG and access node, seem valid to be considered,
right?

Patrick.

_______________________________________________
L2cp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp