Subject: RE: L2TP over IPSec

From: "gedavis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:21:46 -0800

now did you load win2000 as  a domain controller (active directory loaded)
or as a stand alone server. Win2k Server and the Certificate services run
cleaner together when set up as domain controller. A large portion of the
policies that you want to enable are under the active directory snap-in, and
under the certificate server snapin, once active directory is loaded. And it
also looks as thought pre-shared keys are your only option? Is your linux
box able to request a certificate online? Or can you import a certificate
into the OS? There are steps also needed to perform that designate what kind
of certificates you will be able to serve, and I believe that they all are
dependent on the CA being a EEEEEnterprise Root CA, which is what it becomes
if you install it on a Domain Controller

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
David Wong
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 8:23 AM
To: gedavis
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: L2TP over IPSec

The client is a Linux workstation, which currently reads in the
authentication
and encryption key values from a text file. So, right now it only supports
manual keying... I guess what I'm also confused about is while installing
the
Certificate Authority service, I'm asked to enter in the name/address of the
root authority to request a certificate from (even though I've said that the
machine itself will be the root authority).

"gedavis" <[email-masked]> on 01/30/2000 10:11:11 PM

To:   David Wong/Bos/Teradyne@Teradyne, [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked]

Subject:  RE: L2TP over IPSec

David,
I have been working some with the MC-CA and what manner of client are you
referring to? router? pc? maybe I can help

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
David Wong
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: L2TP over IPSec

I was curious what types of access routers/configurations people have been
successful with configuring/testing L2TP over IPSec.

Also, has anyone used a Cisco1600 series (1605) or a Win2000 Server as the
LNS
while running L2TP over IPSec? The 1605 with the 12.05(T), 56-bit encryption
image does not seem to like an encrypted ICMP Echo Request I send to it in
transport mode (something about bad pad length). I know the Free S/WAN
implementation of IPSec will actually reply back to an encrypted Echo
Request
that I send it.

In terms of using Windows 2000, I've tried installing the Certificate
Authority
service on the machine, without luck, and even if I were to, it's not clear
to
me how to use a certificate if the client I'm using needs the authentication
and
encryption key information in text form.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:50:46 -0800

It sounds like the OS you are using does not support IKE. You might
check to see if there is an IKE daemon running. If not, then you
cannot do certificate auth (or dynamic keying with pre-shared keys
for that matter), only manually keyed SAs.

-----Original Message-----

me how to use a certificate if the client I'm using needs the authentication
and encryption key information in text form.