Subject: multiple tunnels between given LAC/LNS pair

From: "Barbara Nichel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:09:31 +0200

Dear subscribers,

We have a doubt about the possibility to open multiple tunnels with the same
LNS.
In case LAC needs to open more than one tunnel with the same LNS, is it
necessary
to specify different IP addresses or different UDP ports?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barbara and Massimiliano.

---

From: Motonori Shindo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:28:43 +0900 (JST)

Barbara

From: "Barbara Nichel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: 
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:09:31 +0200

> We have a doubt about the possibility to open multiple tunnels with
> the same LNS.  In case LAC needs to open more than one tunnel with
> the same LNS, is it necessary to specify different IP addresses or
> different UDP ports?

No. Because LAC can choose an arbitary source port number, it can
establish two or more tunnels to the LNS with single destination IP
address and port number.

However, when a call comes in, the way how to determine wheter it will
establsh a new tunnel or stay in an already-established tunnel is up
to the implementation. Most of the implementation available today will
stay in an already-established tunnel, but it is also possible to
create a new tunnel every time a call comes in, in an extreme case.

Regards,

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
 +----+----+     
 |.. .|    |     Motonori Shindo
 |_~__|    |     
 | .. |~~_~|     Sr. Systems Engineer
 | .  |    |     CoSine Communications Inc.
 +----+----+     
 C o S i n e     e-mail:  [email-masked] 
Communications
=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=