Subject: L2TP implementation issues when running over IpSec

From: "Tim Rochford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:58:37 GMT

Hi,
   I'm working on an implementation of L2TP over IPSec, and I would like to 
find out about how over people have gone about implementing L2TP when they 
know that the IP level is secure.
   For example, RFC2661(Section 9.1) states that the Assigned Tunnel ID and 
Assigned Session ID be chosen in a unpredicatble manner. If Im developing a 
L2TP implementation over IPSec though can't I just use a simple counter for 
these ID values ?
   Also there would be no need to use the Challenge / Response AVPs, or use 
AVP hiding if running over IPSec.
   Are there any parts of L2TP that could not be used, or are made redundant 
when using L2TP-IPSec ?
   Any thoughts ?
Thank you.
Tim

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:03:13 -0400

> L2TP implementation over IPSec though can't I just use a simple counter for

Yes.

> AVP hiding if running over IPSec.

Tunnel authentication is a bit redundant, unless you need to tie into a
legacy AAA system.