Subject: Radius Accounting Support for Tunnel Protocol Support

From: Nurit Sprecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 11:23:07 +0200

1.	In the ‘tunnel-stop’ accounting type status, I cannot find an
attribute indicating number of links within a tunnel. 
		Is it reasonable to use the Acct-Link-count attribute is for
counting the number of links inside a tunnel, or the number of links towards
a certain target (for example, there some tunnels that are terminated in the
same NSP. We count the total number of links that are targeted to this NSP).
I guess the way to know that tunnels are terminated in the same NSP is via
the tunnel-server-endpoint. 
		Is it possible to use the same Acct-Multi-Session-Id
attribute for all tunnels and their related links that access the same NSP?
2.	What is the period for ‘interim’ accounting messages?
3.	Is the accounting information in case of ‘interim’ accounting
messages is the information gathered since the initialization of the
tunnel/link or the information that is gathered since the previous ‘interim’
message?

Thanks in advance, Nurit.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 03:24:51 -0700

Radius Accounting Support for Tunnel Protocol SupportFor future reference,
the list is not an appropriate forum for the discussion of RADIUS; since I
believe that the RADIUS mailing list is dead, the right thing to do is
address questions to the author(s) of the relevant RFC(s).  That said, wrt
question 1, I don't think that using the Acct-Link-Count Attribute to count
links in a tunnel is a very good idea:  although the description of the
Attribute does say "The NAS MAY include the Acct-Link-Count attribute in any
Accounting-Request which might have multiple links.", most of the rest of
the text refers to multilink PPP.  There is no Tunnel-Link-Count Attribute.
Can't you derive this number from some combination of other attributes?
Similar comments apply to the proposed use of Acct-Multi-Session-Id: if the
only relation between the sessions in the tunnel endpoint, why bother
w/Acct-Multi-Session-Id?

For questions 2 & 3, see RFC 2869, Section 2.1.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Nurit Sprecher
  Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 2:23 AM
  To: L2tp (E-mail)
  Subject: Radius Accounting Support for Tunnel Protocol Support

      Is it reasonable to use the Acct-Link-count attribute is for counting
the number of links inside a tunnel, or the number of links towards a
certain target (for example, there some tunnels that are terminated in the
same NSP. We count the total number of links that are targeted to this NSP).
I guess the way to know that tunnels are terminated in the same NSP is via
the tunnel-server-endpoint.

      Is it possible to use the same Acct-Multi-Session-Id attribute for all
tunnels and their related links that access the same NSP?