Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:02:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: V.92 Modem-On-Hold signalling on L2TP
	Author(s)	: I. Goyret
	Filename	: draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 13-Nov-01
	
The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol [L2TP] defines a mechanism for
tunneling PPP [PPP] sessions.
One of the features introduced by V.92 [V92] is the ability of the
client modem to put the call on hold.  The L2TP base protocol does
not provide any means to signal this event.  This document describes
a method used to indicate when a client modem has gone on-hold.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Jitender Arora" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:31:28 -0800

Hello All ,

                    I have one question regarding this Draft , unless and
until we are not sure that what the LNS will do with this information , I
don't think this draft solves any purpose . It is good that we have added
the new AVP's for this purpose , but we should first know the usage of this
.

Rgds,
Jitender .

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 7:02 AM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-goyret-l2tpext-v92-moh-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:15:35 -0800

At 07:31 AM 11/14/01 -0800, Jitender Arora wrote: 
>I have one question regarding this Draft, unless and until we are not sure
>that what the LNS will do with this information, I don't think this draft
>solves any purpose. It is good that we have added the new AVP's for this
>purpose, but we should first know the usage of this.

The draft simply provides a mechanism for an LNS to learn about the client
modem going on-hold.

Only the LNS can decide what to do with this information. For example, the
LNS could start a new accounting session to account for the on-hold time.
There are other things the LNS could do, including filtering out some packets,
turning off some timers, etc. For example, if MP was negotiated, the LNS may
choose to stop sending the MP keep alives because the client won't be able
to respond. Once an indication is received that the client returned, it
could restart the keep alives.

This is essentially identical to what a regular RAS can do with the same MoH
indication coming from its own modems.

From that point of view, this draft solves a particular issue that wasn't
addressed by either 2661 nor l2tp-v3.

Cheers,
-Ignacio