Subject: RE: Benefits of L2TP over ATM

From: "Reza Shahab" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:10:10 -0800

Ajoy,
 
No concern, more looking for validation. There is an existing installed base
of service providers already deploying L2TP/IP/AAL5 over ATM PVCs today. The
alternative proposal of L2TP/AAL5 introduces a new method of encapsulating
L2TP over ATM. Given the existing deployments today, what are the benefits
that the new encap method brings that would justify a change in a service
providers infrastructure?
 
Thanks in advance.
Reza

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 12:07 PM
To: Shahab, Reza [SC9:T327:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Benefits of L2TP over ATM

I would like to get some perspective on what benefits the L2TP over AAL5
draft introduces.

 I can see some incremental benefits for SVCs across an ATM backbone,but for
PVC scenarios it seems to be adding some more complexity into already
existing systems without any obvious benefit. I'm probably missing something
obvious here, would appreciate it is someone could enlighten me.

ajoy-> It is long time since I worked in ATM. But I did not get how L2TP
over AAL5 adds more complexity in case of PVC. On the contrary I think this
eliminates complexity involved in creating and maintaining multiple PVCs in
the ATM cloud. Could you please elaborate your concern ? 

regards,

ajoy 

----
From: Reza Shahab [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 12:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Benefits of L2TP over ATM

I would like to get some perspective on what benefits the L2TP over AAL5
draft introduces. I can see some incremental benefits for SVCs across an ATM
backbone, but for PVC scenarios it seems to be adding some more complexity
into already existing systems without any obvious benefit. I'm probably
missing something obvious here, would appreciate it is someone could
enlighten me.

Thanks in advance, 
Reza