Subject: [L2tpext] Q: is framing-capabilities value=0 legal

From: "Ricky Charlet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:10:23 -0700

Howdy,

	I'm working on an l2tp+ppp product and have come around to
interoperability testing. A vendor that I wish to interoperate with
sends me (I'm the LNS) a framing-capabilities AVP value of 0 (neither A
nor S). At first my code library was rejecting this as an illegal value
and dropping the connection (sending stop).

	But I did notice that if I ignore the framing-capabilities=0
(none?) then my connection can proceed just fine.

	So I need a bit of enlightenment.... is framing-capabilities=0 a
legal value? The rfc makes no explicit statement about it that I can
see. But my reading of the rfc's line "An LNS
      MUST not send an OCRQ with a Framing Type AVP specifying a value
      not advertised in this AVP."
 suggests that an LAC should set something, otherwise what would an LNS
respond with?

Thanks.

---
Ricky Charlet
W: 408.754.1733
[email-masked]
--- _
   ( )  ASCII ribbon campaign 
    X    - against HTML email
   / \                  

_______________________________________________
L2tpext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2tpext

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:32:09 -0800

AFAIK, 0 is a valid value for framing capabilities. Implicitly, it means
that the sender does not have the capabilities of sending an OCRQ to
its L2TP peer. Many LNSs do this because they are unable (by software
or configuration) of generating outgoing calls.