Subject: [L2tpext] Updates to L2TP v2 & v3 for ECN: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:57:18 +0100

Ignacio, Carlos, l2tpext list,

I have posted a rev of this draft with the new arrangement for minimally 
updating L2TP v2 & v3 to ensure legacy implementations are configured 
safely. The spec to support ECN properly is now within this draft itself 
as a RECOMMENDED L2TP extension, but it does not update any L2TP specs.

Pls review and comment.

This is planned to be last-called in tsvwg, deadline Sep 2017.
There is talk of also WGLC'ing in opsawg and int-area I think.

If you think the L2TP aspects should also be WGLC'd elsewhere in 
parallel, pls say where.
If you think I should give a heads-up presentation in Prague, also pls 
say where.

Cheers

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
Date: 	Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:47:58 +0100
From: 	Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
To: 	Black, David <[email-masked]>
CC: 	tsvwg IETF list <[email-masked]>

David, as doc shepherd.

I have just posted a major revision to draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim

Please also take this as a request to give a 10min presentation in tsvwg.

As requested, I included specific text necessary to update certain shim 
tunnel protocols that didn't mention ECN at all (L2TPv2, L2TPv3, GRE).
There are two others to do:
* Teredo: I'll do this once I hear from the original author, Christian 
Huitema
* VXLAN-GPE: This is a draft currently going through NVO3 on the 
standards track. AFAIK the Linux implementation already supports ECN via 
RFC6040, but the authors will need to add ECN text to the spec, so there 
is something for other implementations to follow. I have contacted them 
- they should do this, not me.

I have also added more protocols to the list (e.g. CAPWAP, LISP), but 
these already supported ECN.

As you have seen, I have been in conversation with people on the l2tpext 
list, and on opsawg (for CAPWAP). I haven't found anyone specific to 
talk to regarding GRE yet, but I have notified int-area and I gave a 
heads-up at a recent IETF.

BTW, your plan was to last call draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim 
along with ecn-encap-guidelines, deadline Sep 2017.
I should point out that draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support is in WGLC in 
trill, and it depends normatively on ecn-encap-guidelines

opsawg would like to last call draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim as 
well (altho I have now realized that no update to CAPWAP is needed, but 
opsawg is now working on alternative tunnelling protocols to CAPWAP: 
draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel ). I guess int-area might want to 
last call draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim too.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02.txt
Date: 	Fri, 16 Jun 2017 07:14:46 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim
Revision:	02
Title:		Propagating Explicit Congestion Notification Across IP Tunnel Headers Separated by a Shim
Document date:	2017-06-16
Group:		tsvwg
Pages:		15
URL:https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02.txt
Status:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim/
Htmlized:https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
Htmlized:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
Diff:https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02

Abstract:
    RFC 6040 on "Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification" made the
    rules for propagation of ECN consistent for all forms of IP in IP
    tunnel.  This specification extends the scope of RFC 6040 to include
    tunnels where two IP headers are separated by at least one shim
    header that is not sufficient on its own for packet forwarding.  It
    surveys widely deployed IP tunnelling protocols separated by a shim
    and updates the specifications of those that do not mention ECN
    propagation (L2TPv2, L2TPv3, GRE and Teredo).  The specification also
    updates RFC 6040 with configuration requirements needed to make any
    legacy tunnel ingress safe.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat