Subject: RE: draft-ietf-l2vpn-requirements-00.txt (section 3.3)

From: "Serbest, Yetik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:50 -0600

Hi Hemant,

A PE forwards payload elements from/to an AC to/from a pseudowire. Please
check out draft-ietf-pwe3-arch-06.txt for the reference model. 

Yes the PE participates in assigning AC identifier.

Please look at draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-04.txt. 
("Every Forwarder in a PE must be associated with an Attachment Identifier
(AI), either through configuration or through some algorithm.  The
Attachment Identifier must be unique in the context of the PE router in
which the Forwarder resides.  The combination <PE router, AI> must be
globally unique.")

As for your VLAN question, if your question is about service delimiting
VLANs, then the above applies.

Thanks,
Yetik

PS. I am redirecting your mail to L2VPN as PPVPN is no more.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant Kumar Rath [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 10:48 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-ietf-l2vpn-requirements-00.txt (section 3.3)

Hi,

Just one query...

In the draft " draft-ietf-l2vpn-requirements-00.txt " it is mentioned in 
the section 3.3 as:

3.3. VPWS -
 Para 2: Each PE device is responsible for allocating customer Layer 2 
         frames to the appropriate VPWS and for proper forwarding to the 
         intended destinations.

1. Do U mean that PE should participate in assigning the Attachment 
Circuit (AC) identifcation number? 

2. Is PE participate in the V-ID (VLAN Id) distribution to CE?

Regards and thanks,

-Hemant

-- 
Hemant Kumar Rath
A-501 / Hostel-12
IIT-Bombay
Ph: 9820717805