Subject: ARP-mediation IP TLV IANA code information

From: "Shah, Himanshu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:40:27 -0400

In the last week IETF meeting, I proposed using 0x096B type for IP TLV
that is dispatched in Label Mapping message and LDP Notification in
optional parameter 
field when establishing IP PW.

Subsequent to the meeting, Loa Anderson and Vach recommended using
Address List TLV
defined in LDP for this purpose. There is no change in proposed IANA
assignment for 
Status Code - 0x00000029.

Following is the proposal for IP TLV:

Reusing of Address List TLV for ARP Mediation:
==================================================

   The Address List TLV is defined in RFC 3036. It is typically used
   in Address and Address Withdraw messages. The ARP Mediation draft
   would use the same TLV when signaling IP PW. The TLV is included in
   optional parameter field of the  Label Mapping Message and contains
   the IP address of the local CE. When the IP address of the local CE
   is not known, the address value is set to zero. The ARP Mediation
   draft also uses the same TLV in LDP's Notification message to update
   the changes in CE's IP address.

   Its encoding is:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0|0| Address List (0x0101)     |      Length                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Address Family            |     CE's IP Address           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |       CE's IP Address         |                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Length
      When Address Family is IPV4, Length is equal to 6 bytes;
      2 bytes for address family and 4 bytes of IP address.

   Address Family
      Two octet quantity containing a value from ADDRESS FAMILY NUMBERS
      in [RFC1700] that encodes the addresses contained in the Addresses
      field.

   CE's IP Address
      IP address of CE from Address Family specified.  The
      encoding of the individual addresse depends on the Address Family.

      The following address encodings are defined by this version of the
      protocol:

         Address Family      Address Encoding

         IPv4                4 octet full IPv4 address
         IPv6                16 octet full IPv6 address

Please review and comment.

/himanshu