Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: VPLS Interoperability with CE Bridges 
	Author(s)	: A. Sajassi, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2006-7-26
	
One of the main motivations behind VPLS is its ability to provide 
connectivity not only among customer routers and servers/hosts but 
also among customer bridges. If only connectivity among customer IP 
routers/hosts was desired, then IPLS solution [IPLS] could have been 
used. The strength of the VPLS solution is that it can provide 
connectivity to both bridge and non-bridge types of CE devices. VPLS 
is expected to deliver the same level of service that current 
enterprise users are accustomed to from their own enterprise bridged 
networks today or the same level of service that they receive from 
their Ethernet Service Providers using IEEE 802.1ad-based networks 
[P802.1ad] (or its predecessor – QinQ-based network). 
  
When CE devices are IEEE bridges, then there are certain issues and 
challenges that need to be accounted for in a VPLS network. Majority 
of these issues have currently been addressed in IEEE 802.1ad 
standard for provider bridges and they need to be addressed for VPLS 
networks. This draft discusses these issues and wherever possible, 
the recommended solutions to these issues. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.