Subject: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-reqts-05

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:14:15 +0200

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document..........:  draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-reqts-05
Reviewer..........:  Christian Vogt
Review date.......:  Nov 15, 2007
IESG Telechat date:  --

Summary:  This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits
           that should be fixed before publication.

Comments:

(1)  Section 4.1.2, "Multicast Packet Types", says:

                                             Since the mapping between
    IPv4 multicast addresses and Ethernet layer multicast addresses is
    ambiguous (i.e., multiplicity of 1 Ethernet address to 32 IP
    addresses), MAC-based multicast forwarding is not ideal for IP
    multicast.

Would be good to provide some rationale here.  It seems that the
non-injective mapping from IP addresses to MAC addresses does not limit
scalability, provided the solution tracks IP addresses rather than MAC
addresses.  It also does not seem to have an impact on security.  The
worst that could happen would be that some hosts receive packets they
are not interested in.  Another undesired feature might be that network
administration becomes slightly more complicated.  But the reader is
left out in the rain here.  Giving some rationale would certainly help.

(2)  Section 4.3, "Back85dc-7168e56e9f99 -->

<div class="AOLPromoFooter">
<hr style="margin-top:10px;" />
More new features than ever.  Check out the new <a href="http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aimcmp00050000000001" target="_blank">AIM(R) Mail</a>!<br/>
</div>

----------MB_8CA075B57E0AFAF_93C_4D0B_webmail-md11.sysops.aol.com--