Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:15:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS)
	Author(s)	: H. Shah
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-08.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2008-2-22
	
A Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) [VPLS] is used to interconnect 
   systems across a wide-area or metropolitan-area network, making it 
   appear that they are on a private LAN.  The systems which are 
   interconnected may themselves be LAN switches.  If, however, they 
   are IP hosts or IP routers, certain simplifications to the operation 
   of the VPLS are possible.  We call this simplified type of VPLS an 
   "IP-only LAN Service" (IPLS).  In an IPLS, as in a VPLS, LAN 
   interfaces are run in promiscuous mode, and frames are forwarded 
   based on their destination MAC addresses.  However, the maintenance 
   of the MAC forwarding tables is done via signaling, rather than via 
   the MAC address learning procedures specified in [IEEE 802.1D].  
   This draft specifies the protocol extensions and procedures for 
   support of the IPLS service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt