Subject: Question about VPMS

From: Cao Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:52:25 +0800

Hi Yuji,
  I am interested in VPMS. IMHO, support multicast traffic in traditional VPLS
might require a lot of filtering work, this may compromise the transparency 
of VPLS forwarding in SP network.
 
  But I have a few questions about VPMS, I would like to make it clear:

1. How often do you think the activation/deactivation of CE/AC will happen?
   Supporting dynamicity is useful, but if you want a very flexible solution
   for dynamic joining/leaving, it may cause the solution be complex (
   especially when considering dual multicast sources, multi-homing, 
   protection, etc). I hope debate about MVPN in L3VPN WG don't happen in 
   L2VPN again. :)

2. Compare to VPLS, there is no MAC learning. And the roles for the PE (sender
   or reciver ) can not be changed in one VPMS. So if in VPLS similar environment,
   why not use P2MP LSP directly? It is simple.

Regards,
Cao Wei   				
--------------
Cao Wei
2008-08-27