Subject: Minutes for IETF87 L2VPN WG meeting uploaded

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 19:19:38 +0100

The minutes have now been uploaded:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/minutes/minutes-87-l2vpn

please do send comments/corrections.

Nabil & Giles

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Jorge)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 13:37:56 +0000

Hi L2VPN WG,

Due to time constraints during the IETF87 L2VPN session, we skipped the
following item from the agenda.

(14) draft-rabadan-l2vpn-dci-evpn-overlay-00
     Jorge Rabadan
     (5 minutes)

The draft focuses on the DC GW (Data Center Gateway) functions required to
provide intra-subnet connectivity beyond the Data Center boundaries when:
a) EVPN for overlay tunnels is deployed within the DC
AND
b) existing L2VPN solutions are deployed in the WAN. In particular, this
version focuses on VPLS/PBB-VPLS, which is the most common L2VPN WAN
technology nowadays.

Highlights of the draft:
- it addresses the following requirements: flexible DC GW hand-off to the
WAN provider, integrated/separated DC GW and WAN edge PE functions,
multi-homing, control of the MACs advertised to the DC by using the
"unknown mac route"
- Special attention to the use of the unknown-mac-route: EVPN provides
great control over the MACs advertised within the DC, however, when VPLS
is used in the WAN, the DC is exposed to a potential MAC explosion that
might derive in EVPN advertising thousands of MACs to the DC NVEs (Network
Virtualization Edge nodes).
- The use of the unknown-mac-route provides the following benefits:
a) reduces the control plane overhead within the DC and keep the NVE FDB
tables under control
b) allows the DC provider to disable the unknown unicast flooding if MACs
within the DC are learnt in the control/management plane.
c) provides a fast convergence mechanism for hypervisor-based NVEs

Please refer to the draft for more information.

We strongly believe this draft is needed (given the feedback we captured
from DC providers) so we would like to request the WG to read the draft
and provide comments.
Looking forward to your feedback/contributions.
Thank you,

The authors