Subject: RFC 7117 on Multicast in Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:56:06 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7117

        Title:      Multicast in Virtual Private LAN 
                    Service (VPLS) 
        Author:     R. Aggarwal, Ed.,
                    Y. Kamite, L. Fang,
                    Y. Rekhter, C. Kodeboniya
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      50
        Characters: 126280
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7117.txt

RFCs 4761 and 4762 describe a solution for Virtual Private LAN
Service (VPLS) multicast that relies on the use of point-to-point or
multipoint-to-point unicast Label Switched Paths (LSPs) for carrying
multicast traffic.  This solution has certain limitations for certain
VPLS multicast traffic profiles.  For example, it may result in highly
non-optimal bandwidth utilization when a large amount of multicast
traffic is to be transported.

This document describes solutions for overcoming a subset of the
limitations of the existing VPLS multicast solution.  It describes
procedures for VPLS multicast that utilize multicast trees in the
service provider (SP) network.  The solution described in this
document allows sharing of one such multicast tree among multiple
VPLS instances.  Furthermore, the solution described in this document
allows a single multicast tree in the SP network to carry traffic
belonging only to a specified set of one or more IP multicast streams
from one or more VPLS instances.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC