Subject: RFC 7209 on Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 18:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7209

        Title:      Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN) 
        Author:     A. Sajassi, R. Aggarwal,
                    J. Uttaro, N. Bitar,
                    W. Henderickx, A. Isaac
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 34040
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7209.txt

The widespread adoption of Ethernet L2VPN services and the advent of
new applications for the technology (e.g., data center interconnect)
have culminated in a new set of requirements that are not readily
addressable by the current Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
solution.  In particular, multihoming with all-active forwarding is not
supported, and there's no existing solution to leverage
Multipoint-to-Multipoint (MP2MP) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) for
optimizing the delivery of multi-destination frames.  Furthermore, the
provisioning of VPLS, even in the context of BGP-based auto-discovery,
requires network operators to specify various network parameters on
top of the access configuration.  This document specifies the
requirements for an Ethernet VPN (EVPN) solution, which addresses the
above issues.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC