Subject: RFC 7436 on IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:43:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7436

        Title:      IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS) 
        Author:     H. Shah, E. Rosen,
                    F. Le Faucheur, G. Heron
        Status:     Historic
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 74340
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7436

A Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) is used to interconnect systems
across a wide-area or metropolitan-area network, making it appear that
they are on a private LAN.  The systems that are interconnected may
themselves be LAN switches.  If, however, they are IP hosts or IP
routers, certain simplifications to the operation of the VPLS are
possible.  We call this simplified type of VPLS an "IP-only LAN
Service" (IPLS).  In an IPLS, as in a VPLS, LAN interfaces are run in
promiscuous mode, and frames are forwarded based on their destination
Media Access Control (MAC) addresses.  However, the maintenance of the
MAC forwarding tables is done via signaling, rather than via the MAC
address learning procedures specified in the IEEE's "Media Access Control
(MAC) Bridges".  This document specifies the protocol extensions and
procedures for support of the IPLS service.

The original intent was to provide an alternate solution to VPLS for
those Provider Edge (PE) routers that were not capable of learning MAC
addresses through data plane.  This became a non-issue with newer
hardware.  The concepts put forth by this document are still valuable and
are adopted in one form or other by newer work such as Ethernet VPN in
L2VPN working group and possible data center applications.  At this
point, no further action is planned to update this document and it is
published simply as a historic record of the ideas.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC