Subject: Updated WG charter

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:24:17 -0700

Folks-

 I believe the updated rev of the charter below should reflect the
 discussion on the list. The diff from the previously posted version
 can be found here:
 
   http://psg.com/~zinin/ietf/ppvpn/l3vpn-diff-00-01.html

 Note that QoS is in the list of for-now-excluded items. I'd like us
 to finish current work items before taking on new work, and
 especially such broad topic as QoS.

 Regards.
 
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)

Chair(s): <under discussion>

Area Director(s):
   Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
   Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Area Advisor:
   Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor:
   Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Description of Working Group:

This working group is responsible for defining and specifying a
limited number of solutions for supporting provider-provisioned 
Layer-3 (routed) Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs).

The WG is responsible for standardization of the following solutions:

   1. BGP/MPLS IP VPNs (based on RFC 2547)
   2. IP VPNs using Virtual Routers
   3. CE-based VPNs using IPSEC

The following VPN deployment scenarios will be considered by the WG:

   1. Internet-wide: VPN sites attached to arbitratry points in
      the Internet

   2. Single SP/single AS: VPN sites attached to the network of a
      single provider within the scope of a single AS

   3. Single SP/multiple AS'es: VPN sites attached to the network
      of a single provider consisting of multiple AS'es

   4. Cooperating SPs: VPN sites attached to networks of different
      providers that cooperate with each other to provide VPN service

As part of this effort the WG will work on the following tasks
(additional work items will require rechartering):

   1. Requirements and framework for Layer 3 VPNs
   2. Solution documents for each approach listed above (including
      applicability statements)
   3. MIB definitions for each approach
   4. Security mechanisms for each approach

As a general rule, the WG will not create new protocols, but will provide 
functional requirements for extensions of the existing protocols that will 
be discussed in the protocol-specific WGs. The group will review proposed 
protocol extensions for L3VPNs before they are recommended to appropriate 
protocol-specific WGs.

Multicast and QoS support are excluded from the charter at this time. 
They may be considered for inclusion in an updated charter 
at a later time. Future work items may also include OAM support.

WG Milestones (optimistic):

Dec 2002  Submit L3 VPN Requirements Document to IESG for publication as Info
          (completed)
Dec 2002 Submit Generic Requirements Document to IESG for publication as Info
          (completed)
Dec 2002  Submit L3 VPN Framework Document to IESG for publication as Info
          (completed)

Dec 2003  Submit VPN Security Analysis to IESG for publication as Info
          (draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00)
Dec 2003  Submit BGP/MPLS VPNs specification and AS to IESG for 
          publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-rfc2547bis-03, draft-ietf-ppvpn-as2547-01)
Dec 2003 Submit CE-based specification and AS to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-ce-based-03)
         (draft-declercq-ppvpn-ce-based-sol-00)
         (draft-declercq-ppvpn-ce-based-as-01)
Dec 2003 Submit Virtual Router specification and AS to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-vpn-vr-03, draft-ietf-ppvpn-as-vr-01)

Jan 2004 Submit VPN MIB Textual Conventions to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-tc-mib-02)
Jan 2004 Submit MPLS/BGP VPN MIB to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-mpls-vpn-mib-05)
Jan 2004 Submit VR MIB to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-vr-mib-04)
Jan 2004 Submit BGP as an Auto-Discovery Mechanism for publication as PS.
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-bgpvpn-auto-05.txt)

March 2004 Submit specification of using IPSEC for PE-PE encapsulation in BGP/MPLS VPNs to IESG
         for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-ipsec-2547-03)
March 2004 Submit specification of using GRE for PE-PE encapsulation in BGP/MPLS VPNs to IESG
         for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-gre-ip-2547-02)
March 2004 Submit specification of CE Route Authentication to IESG for publication as PS
         (draft-ietf-ppvpn-l3vpn-auth-03)
March 2004 Submit specification of OSPF as the PE/CE Protocol in BGP/MPLS VPNs for publication. 
          (draft-rosen-vpns-ospf-bgp-mpls-06.txt)