Subject: Sequence control of distributed information

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:11:03 +0200

Let me try to probe operators about one element which may become much
harder to achive when moving some data out of BGP umbrella. Under a
numerous conversations I have heard requests asking for allowing
operator to tightly control the order of information being distributed
by BGP for example: vpnv4 routes first then ipv4 routes or ipv4 routes
first followed by mutlicast routes etc ...

When all AFs are under the same BGP umbrella that request can be very
easy to deliver with a simple knob. When we separate future - non
routing data - I could easily see the case that +100K ipv4 routes is
competing with +100K telefon numbers to be send between routers. There
would be no easy way to allow priority control other then low level CPU
resources allocations to each process. Even that it would be usually
difficult to achive full task serialization on a more granular level
that fully blocking given's process resources. That will in turn result
in explosion of separate processes almost per task and managment of
those will for sure provide very stable platforms :).

Bottom line - the question is - do we all agree that the only required
mode of operation is fairness in distribution of all kinds of
information between routers ? 

Cheers,
R.