Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt

From: "Lai, Wai S (Waisum), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:00:00 -0500

At the initiation of Ross Callon, a meeting was held during the
IETF'57 in Vienna to discuss the VPN-MIB requirements described
in the following draft
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt 
Participants were Ross Callon, Ron Bonica, Loa Andersson, Tom
Nadeau, Jerry Ash, Li-Jin Chung, and Wai Sum Lai.

As a result, it was agreed that a new counter is to be added to the
VPN-MIB to provide a rough estimate of the number of dropped routes
when the operator-defined VRF maximum route threshold is exceeded.
(see Section 3.1 of the draft).  Such count is needed for capacity
planning and threshold tuning purposes.

It was also agreed that the RT/RD linkage in VPN-MIB (Section 3.2)
is to be handled by the NMS.

Comments on this are welcome.
Thanks, Wai Sum

-----Original Message-----
From: Lai, Wai S (Waisum), ALABS 
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 9:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt

Based on our testing of the VPN MIB, we have identified some
requirements
as described in the following draft.  Your comments are welcome.
Thanks, Wai Sum

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:48 AM
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Network Management Requirements for MPLS MIBs
	Author(s)	: W. Lai, L. Chung
	Filename	: draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2003-4-30
	
In this document, requirements for three MPLS-related MIBs (LDP-MIB, 
VPN-MIB, and BGP4-MIB) are presented for the support of specific 
network management needs for fault and performance management.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:15:06 -0400

We should emphasize that the decision regarding any changes 
to the MIB and other working group documents are up to the 
working group and document authors. 

Thus the meeting which Wai Lai referred to in his message 
should be thought of as an informal meeting to discuss 
possible ways to resolve some issues. Such informal meetings 
on the side are quite common during IETF meetings. 

The working group chairs would like to solicit input regarding 
whether the additional counter that Wai Lai is proposing to add 
to the VPN-MIB is agreeable to the working group.

It might also be noted that the solutions suggested by Wai Lai 
in his message below would resolve those comments from 
draft-lai-mpls-mib-rqmts-00.txt which apply to the l3vpn WG. 

thanks, Ross (and Ron and Rick)